+ Reply to Thread

Need values to be automatically inserted

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

Need values to be automatically inserted

This is probably a very basic question for you boffins but I am stumped!

I have a sheet wherein I enter details of orders received from customers (columns are: date, order no., customer name, product no., size, colour, quantity, price, total amount).

Different customers pay different prices so I want the price for a specific customer to auto insert once I have entered the customer name and product details.

I'm sure this is possible but because I don't know what the action is called I can't look up the tutorial!

Help please!

The Great City of Manchester, NW England ;-)
    MS-Off Ver
    MSO 2007,2010,365

Re: Need values to be automatically inserted

I think you need VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH as the basis for your search.

You could upload a sample workbook with an indication of what your desired output is and I'm sure someone will provide an answer (without trawling the web)

Regards
    Trevor Shuttleworth - Retired Excel/VBA Consultant

I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

'Being unapologetic means never having to say you're sorry' John Cooper Clarke

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

Quote Originally Posted by TMShucks View Post
    I think you need VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH as the basis for your search.

You could upload a sample workbook with an indication of what your desired output is and I'm sure someone will provide an answer (without trawling the web)

Regards
    Hi,

Thanks.

I'm attaching a simplified version of the sheet (I've deleted columns unaffected by this query).

I need the price in column D to pop up automatically. Excel would need to 'know' that customer Exo pays 33 cents for item number P4970 in size 20.5 but customer Kaz pays 30 cents for the same item in the same size.

In the meantime I will look up and learn about VOOKUP and INDEX/MATCH (looks scary! lol).

FYI in case anyone's interested, the items in question are buttons and little bits of trimmings that go onto clothing .... hundreds of the darn things!
    Attached Files Attached Files

MS-Off Ver
    MSO 2007,2010,365

See updated example.

Regards

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

Hi,

I don't understand your updated sheet and the price formula.

Maybe I didn't explain myself properly. I want to be able to enter the customer name, the item number and the size and then have the price inserted automatically. Obviously there would need to be another workbook or sheet with all the information already entered, like a basic price list say, and the sheet I am working on would get the info from that sheet/book. So, once I've entered Exo (customer), P4970 (item), 20.5 (size), the price of 33 cents is automatically entered.

I suspect that perhaps the customer name will be a problem because it is text and not numerical - could that be a problem with what I am trying to do?

MS-Off Ver
    MSO 2007,2010,365

That's what happens in the updated example. Select a customer, item and size from the drop down boxes and it returns the relevant price.

Bear in mind that it is *your* simplified example and there is no indication of where you want to input the details ... so I just added the drop down boxes.

Regards

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information