+ Reply to Thread

Can I increase the 'impact' my sheet has on my boss?

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

Can I increase the 'impact' my sheet has on my boss?

Dear gurus,

I have been using Excel for a couple of years now and have got off the starting blocks, but have a long way to go!

I have recently learnt a little about named formulas which I used in the attached sheet to determine the start and length of a trend analysis. Easy peasy for you, but I was very pleased with it.

Anyway, my boss is head and shoulders above me in the Excel knowledge stakes, and was not impressed by my efforts to produce a functional trend analysis. So I come to you cap-in-hand, to ask if you could suggest ways to improve my sheet and knock the boss down a peg or two.

Im not asking for you to do it for me and then plagerize it, I love to learn about excel, I'd just like some suggestions on how to give it the 'WOW' factor and a pointer to a place to learn it would be a bonus

Many many thanks,

Hopefull,
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Hopefull; 09-11-2011 at 04:13 PM.

MS-Off Ver
    2003, 2010

Re: Can I knock the bosses socks off?

Please take a few minutes to read the forum rules, and then amend your thread title accordingly.
    Entia non sunt multiplicanda sine necessitate

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

Re: Can I increase the 'impact' my sheet has on my boss?

My apologies, is it ok now?
    Thanks

MS-Off Ver
    Office 365

Hi Hopefull,

Find the attached where I've turned your crosstab data into a table. See the code in Module 2? that does this manuver.

Then with it in a "Table" format, I've created a Pivot Chart that has the filters on the chart itself. Maybe that will impress the boss. See if this single pivot table doesn't do what your selectors did, without needing any code.

To help your design of data:
    1. Get rid of all merged cells in your data. They hurt more than help in most occations.
    2. Never have a blank row or column in a table
    3. Sideways text is not my preferance but I'm not pretty either.

I hope this new arrangement gives you some ideas.

BTW - I once had a boss who didn't understand graphs. I presented him one that showed my department's work. His eyes glossed over and he threw it in the trash. He was a motto kind of guy and couldn't read a graph - he also had math fobia. Sometimes the boss doesn't know best. Maybe your boss didn't like the colors you picked.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    One test is worth a thousand opinions.
    Click the * Add Reputation below to say thanks.

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

Hi MarvinP

Many thanks for your input, I had considered using a pivot table, but as the data was laid out in rows rather tha columns I thought I would have to transpose it first, clearly not the case.

My only concern with the pivot version is that whilst it may satisfy the boss (if that's possible) it becomes less user friendly for the novice.

I guess a combination of the two is the likely answer as the pivot table will also allow me to plot more than one data stream on a graph at the same time.

Once last question if I may, some of the data is weekly, and with the pivot graph I've not been able to plot the empty cells as interpolated, so that it joins the dots, as the option is greyed out. Can this be overcome?

Thanks again for your input/efforts

Hopefull

MS-Off Ver
    Office 365

Hi Hopefull,

I think your question relates to http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/usertips/tip024.htm

My experience, that I learned from teylyn, was to click on the graph and then Select Data. In the dialog box at the bottom left is a button to click that leads to how to deal with missing data.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information