+ Reply to Thread

Function to create a simple list of numbers from 700-1000

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

Function to create a simple list of numbers from 700-1000

This problem is too simple for me to be able to find anything on google so far.

I want to create a column of numbers starting at some number (say 700) and ending at another number (1000). I know I could create cells for 700 and 701 and drag down, but for my purposes that takes too long. I also know I can highlight the range and press the keyboard shortcut (ctrl+d?) to autofill the cells.

However, I want to create a formula in the first cell that will fill in the next 200 or 300 or 1000 cells in a simple <cell = cell above + 1> series. Is this possible with a function?

Thanks in advance!

MS-Off Ver
    2016/365

Re: Function to create a simple list of numbers from 700-1000

Hi Joe, welcome to the forum.

A function won't create a list like you're seeking. A macro could, or a series of functions in multiple cells.

For example, let's say you have the value 700 in A1 and 212 in B1. In A2 put the formula:

=IFERROR(IF(A1+1>$A$1+$B$1,"",A1+1),"")

Fill that down hundreds or thousands of rows. You'll end up with a list of numbers starting at 700 through 700 + 212 (912). Below row 212 will be blank (""). The IFERROR wrapper handles the VALUE errors that appear after the first blank of the inner IF statement.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information