Closed Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Why can't I autofill the alphabet?

  1. #1
    THSaldivar
    Guest

    Why can't I autofill the alphabet?

    When I try to autofill a column in Excel to read a, b, c through x, y, z it
    only copies the a,b,c,a,b,c,a,b,c. Is there something hidden somewhere that
    I can change to make it autofill correctly?

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Portugal
    MS-Off Ver
    Microsoft 365 Apps for enterprise
    Hi

    I have this workaround:
    Go to Tools, Options and choose Custom List. Then build a list with the alphabet (a,c,d,e....)
    Enter "a" in a cell and then drag down. Cells will be populated with the entire aplphabet.

    Hope it helps,

    Octávio

  3. #3
    JLatham
    Guest

    RE: Why can't I autofill the alphabet?

    oteixeira has given the correct answer and provided the workaround that's
    probably used by most people. But if you don't want Excel to use your
    created list of the alphabet, here are a couple of formulas that will achieve
    the same thing:

    Start in any cell, for this example, we will assume you're starting in the
    middle of a sheet, say at cell B12. In B12 enter this:
    =CHAR(65+ROW(B12)-ROW(B$12))
    and drag it down the page - capital letters will appear in sequence. If you
    need lowercase letters, use 97 instead of 65. Be sure you get that $ in
    front of the second reference to cell B12.

    If you need to go horizontally left to right then start with (again A in B12)

    =CHAR(65+COLUMN(B12)-COLUMN($B12))

  4. #4
    kuala lumpur
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

    Thumbs up Re: Why can't I autofill the alphabet?

    although this posting is yearsss back, it still serve great purpose....

    thanks a lot to JLatham

  5. #5
    Forum Moderator vlady's Avatar
    Philippines - OLSHCO -Guimba-Nueva Ecija
    MS-Off Ver
    4,361

    Re: Why can't I autofill the alphabet?

    How about

    =CHAR(ROW(B65)) drag down
    I think people forget the word "THANK YOU!!!!" Do you still know it???

    There is a little star ( ADD REPUTATION ) below those person who helped you. Click it to say your "PRIVATE APPRECIATION TO THEIR EFFORT ON THEIR CONTRIBUTIONS "

    Regards,
    Vladimir

Closed Thread