+ Reply to Thread

Linking Cell Contents

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

Linking Cell Contents

I have a spreadsheet in which every column updates relative to the contents of another worksheet. Several of my columns are intended to allow for a user to manually enter data that will override the contents of adjacent cells. Unfortunately, because the data on this sheet is ever changing, maintaining the relative position of any information manually imput (i.e. the manual overrides entered by users) seems to be impossible.

Is there a method by which to link manually entered data to existing data so that when the existing data changes locations, the manually entered data automatically follows the relative existing data.

Thanks in advance.

-Mike

The Great City of Manchester, NW England ;-)
    MS-Off Ver
    MSO 2007,2010,365

Re: Linking Cell Contents

Assuming there's some key field or combination of fields that make a unique reference, you could, perhaps use VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH

Being realistic, it's no easy task to manage links between two spreadsheets that are both maintained manually.

Regards, TMS
    Trevor Shuttleworth - Retired Excel/VBA Consultant

I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

'Being unapologetic means never having to say you're sorry' John Cooper Clarke

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information