+ Reply to Thread

Macro, copy UNLOCKED cell range of sheet in open workbook to workbook template

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

Macro, copy UNLOCKED cell range of sheet in open workbook to workbook template

I am looking for a macro the user can click to save new information they added on the workbook in use now "JOB WORKBOOK", to the workbook template that will be used the next time "NEW JOB WORKBOOK".

This is needed to save the user time adding the same new material items each time a new workbook or "NEW JOB WORKBOOK" is used.
    This is also needed to save the frustration a user has when I make changes to the "NEW JOB WORKBOOK" in other ways, NEW VERSION.
    I have tried to just replace the worksheet but because the workbook references this worksheet I get #REF! errors on all other worksheet in the workbook!

I have kept the "NEW JOB WORKBOOK" "MATERIAL" worksheet the same from VERSION to NEW VERSION. ALL other worksheets in the workbook use the "MATERIAL" worksheet as a database =(MATERIAL!D12) and so on for each UNLOCKED Cell. Each time a new job is started the user needs to take the "NEW JOB WORKSHEET" "TEMPLATE" and makes a new workbook saved as the clients name. I have 3 different office locations with 3 different users, so each location will have a different "MATERIAL" worksheet. This worksheet will continue to grow from job to job and I would like to keep the material added each time at each location for possible reference of the next job and less data entry.

I would love a Macro to REPLACE the "NEW JOB WORKBOOK" "TEMPLATE" "MATERIAL" worksheet. with the "JOB WORKBOOK" "MATERIAL" worksheet, and insert 0 in each of the UNLOCKED cells Range F:12 through F:2200.

But if not, can a Macro be made to.
    STEP1: Search UNLOCKED cells in the "JOB WORKBOOK" "MATERIAL" worksheet Range D:12 through Z:2200.
    STEP2: Ask the user for the location of the "NEW JOB WORKBOOK" "TEMPLATE".
    STEP3: If Needed UN Protect worksheet, no password, the "NEW JOB WORKBOOK" "MATERIAL" worksheet.
    STEP4: Transfer info found to the same UNLOCKED cell Range D:12 through Z:2200 of "NEW JOB WORKBOOK" "MATERIAL" worksheet.
    STEP5: Enter 0 in each of the UNLOCKED cells Range F:12 through F:2200 of "NEW JOB WORKBOOK" "MATERIAL" worksheet. (OR DO NOT COPY THIS COLUMN)
    STEP6: Protect worksheet with USE AUTO FILTER and SELECT UNLOCKED CELLS, no password, "NEW JOB WORKBOOK" "MATERIAL" worksheet.
    Step7: Save "NEW JOB WORKBOOK".

I do not know if the Macro needs to UN protect the "JOB WORKBOOK" "MATERIAL" worksheet before it can search but if so, this sheet is also page protected with now password.

If anyone has a better way, or any other suggestions please feel free to let me know, I will always consider the advice of people who are smarter then me...

Thanks to all who read this and triple thanks to any who may reply.

Attached is a copy of the MATERIAL worksheet. Columns "D" and "H" are the ones I need to Update.
    I hope this info HELPS.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by NicksDad; 08-31-2012 at 11:12 PM. Reason: upload file

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information