+ Reply to Thread

Need to generate a random serial number that automatically populates the transmittal sheet

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

Need to generate a random serial number that automatically populates the transmittal sheet

I am a newbie to excel and require assistance, In the attached, I am looking for a macro to generate random serial numbers in column B. That serial number once populated fully would transpose to the transmittal sheet. I am looking for a button that would save the completed sheet as a PDF document. The user would then save the workbook, close, and use the next row as needed.
    Attached Files Attached Files

MS-Off Ver
    365 Win 11

Re: Need to generate a random serial number that automatically populates the transmittal s

It would be easier if your transmittal were in Excel rather than an embedded word document. It's then fairly easy, one thing though, that is an Excel 2003 workbook, is that because some users only have 2003 or will all have 2010?

PDFs aren't straightforward in 2003

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

Re: Need to generate a random serial number that automatically populates the transmittal s

Morning,

Many thanks for the quick reply. I have attached a new file, this one saved in 2010, we had a few stragglers still using 2003, but if it helps make it easier, I have struggled with this. Do you mean the transmittal as an embedded word document? Im not aware of any way to transpose the data from word to excel without losing the intergrity of the sheet...

MS-Off Ver
    365 Win 11

It would be easier to remake the word document in Excel, you would just have to adjust columns/rows etc so that it looked the same - it wouldn't take long

Apologies, I think you may have misunderstood, it is not the version that the document is saved in that is the issue, rather the version of Excel - you can't create pdfs without additional software in Excel 2003. So any code you will need alternative code for any 2003 users as well as additional software

How many forms would be being sent out? would people use their own copies of the workbook, if so we need to be a bit crafty with serial numbers since you won't be able to check if they exist in other users workbooks.

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

I took your advice and recreated the transmittal in excel, its included in the workbook now.

I am thinking the serials can be driven off cells C3/C5, the uniqueness of their name and respective project would eliminate duplicate numbers being generated? Each workbook is assigned to a specific person, each needing a log for their respective projects.

Each machine currently has print to PDF capability throughout, but if it requires more than its probably not a good idea.

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

Just a quick note, all users now use Excel 2010 if the PDF button is still an option?

MS-Off Ver
    365 Win 11

Maybe something like this, double click in column b in the table fora serial number

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

Wow, this looks great! This is perfect! THANK YOU!

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle123 View Post
    Maybe something like this, double click in column b in the table fora serial number

Is it possible to link the following cells to the transmittal sheet?

I double click to get the random code,

I type in the Date Sent and it populates Transmittal Sheet R11, D26
    I type in To: and it populates Transmittal Sheet R13
    I type in Organization: and it populates Transmittal Sheet C11
    I type in From and it populates Transmittal Sheet J60
    I type in Description: and it populates Transmittal Sheet H26
    I type in Copies: and it populates Transmittal Sheet C26

The rub here is it has to be different for each line like the serial number. Is it possible to lock or keep people from clicking out of order on the log? If you click back and forth, ideally the information would change with each line...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information