+ Reply to Thread

Exporting Excel Cells, to Multiple Text Files, Where each text file has multiple lines

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

Exporting Excel Cells, to Multiple Text Files, Where each text file has multiple lines

Hi all,

I've spent several hours searching this forum and others. My challenge most closely resembles the issue at the following link:

http://www.excelforum.com/excel-prog...txt-files.html

What I would like to do is take a single excel table and export it to multiple text files (each record/row would be its own text file). Column A would contain the name of the text file. Column B - J would be the data to be contained in the text file.

Here is the twist: for my purposes, I need the values of columns B - J to be on separate lines within the individual text file (so there is a 9 line text file for each record in the Excel table).

Something like the following would serve as an example --

Excel (I'm substituting the cell identifier for what would be actual values in the cells):
    A1,B1,C1,D1,E1,F1,G1,H1,I1,J1
    A2,B2,C2,D2,E2,F2,G2,H2,I2,J2
    A500,B500,C500,D500,E500,F500,G500,H500,I500,J500

would end up exporting 500 text files such that A1.TXT would contain 9 lines as follows:
    B1
    C1
    D1
    E1
    F1
    G1
    H1
    I1
    J1

Please let me know if I can clarify anything or provide any other information. Your help could save me a scary amount of time.

Many thanks in advance,

Rob

Re: Exporting Excel Cells, to Multiple Text Files, Where each text file has multiple lines

Please Login or Register  to view this content.

Valued Forum Contributor
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

Re: Exporting Excel Cells, to Multiple Text Files, Where each text file has multiple lines

Another way:
    Please Login or Register  to view this content.
    Post responsibly. Search for excelforum.com

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

Hi,

I just want to say thanks so much for your response. Honestly I've not had a chance to try out Chippy's work yet; CriticalBill's did exactly what I needed.

In any event, this saved me an enormous amount of time. To both of you -- I'm impressed by your prowess, and I'm incredibly appreciative of your willingness to share your knowledge/talents with me.

Often I can figure things out by just reading the forums, but it's a very good feeling to know there are folks out there who will help me out when needed.

Thanks again -- and happy holidays, etc.

Best,
    Rob

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information