+ Reply to Thread

Formula to provide location of cell in different area

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

Question Formula to provide location of cell in different area

Thank you in advance for any assistance with this issue. I am working on a project that will allow me to input a character in a particular cell and then have the cell location provided below.

The best way that I can describe the situation is to imagine that you are looking at a chess board, with numbers for each row and letters for each column. I am attempting to use a formula (or combination of formulas) that will allow me to put a mark on the board (ex. B2 (top left corner of the board)) and then have the location displayed in a table below.

To explain the example, let's suppose I place a rook piece in B2 and designate that with an "R". I would like to have the location "B2" display in an area below the "board". There is a header column on the left with the number of that row (i.e. 1, 2, etc.) and a header row on the top with the letter of that column (i.e. A, B, C, etc.). I know there is a formula that will provide the actual location based on columns and rows, however as my "board" is not aligned perfectly with the program's location (ex. A1 is top left corner in Excel, but on my "board" B2 is the first square on the board and I need the cell value from the heading above that cell (B1) and from the left side (A2). I am looking to have it provide the location as defined by the user so that if the piece is in a different location it will provide that location below.

I know that this example is still a bit confusing, however I'm not sure how else to describe what I am looking to do. At this time, I've got part of a formula, [=IF(COUNTIF($A$1:$I$9,"R"),CONCATENATE(B1," ",A2)," ")], but the challenge is that the Concatenate is defined and even if the "R" is located in any cell in the array, it will only provide the location that is specified in the formula. What is the best way to have the formula provide the dynamic location of this piece?

The other part of the issue that I can foresee, but haven't been able to address yet, is that when I have multiple pieces, say two Rook pieces, how do I maintain a seperation between the two seperate pieces in the tracking field? I could define the pieces as "R1" or "R2", but I'm not sure if there is a better method or a way that would allow me to simply use "R" and then have the result provide any location where "R" might be located at on the "board".

Please feel free to ask for further information if it will help to explain the scenario.

Thank you again!

Valued Forum Contributor
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003/Excel 2010

Re: Formula to provide location of cell in different area

If i understand correctly, this could be the basis for your solving your problem, see attachment.
    Attached Files Attached Files

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

Re: Formula to provide location of cell in different area

I think you've got me back on the correct path. I appreciate your time and efforts in helping me resolve this. Based on your spreadsheet, I can tell that I was going in an entirely different direction, but this may work. Thank you very much!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information