+ Reply to Thread

Auto-Populate Data Entry Format Based on Drop Down Selection. Macro?

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

Auto-Populate Data Entry Format Based on Drop Down Selection. Macro?

Hi all,

I've been lurking the forms for a few days, and I've learned a lot. Thanks to those of you who are willing to help others learn!

At the broadest sense, I'm trying to come up with a sheet that will allow me to enter customer specified sizes and then give me the end quantities of part numbers that I can enter into our accounting software.

There are 7 different configurations of the parts, and I've set up a drop down menu to select them:

Y-Lok Kit
    K-Lok Kit
    Q-Lok Kit
    New System
    Y-Lok Single
    K-Lok Single
    Q-Lok Single

From the selection, I would like to auto-populate the data entry configuration. There may be other/better ways of doing it, but the only way I can think of is to create a macro. I know how to run a macro based on the drop down selection, I'm just having difficulty coming up with the macros to do the job. If you're up for helping, I've attached the Excel sheet, and I'd love to learn.

Here's what needs to be done. Step 1: After making a selection from the drop down list (shown in red), the corresponding fields on sheet 'Macro References' needs copied and pasted into position (shown in green). At the same time, a new drop down box needs to appear below for the next selection (shown in blue). Additionally, the very last segment needs cut and pasted to the sheet 'PrintOut' (shown in purple). Colors are just to help reference in this post, not needed for the actual sheet.

Step 1.jpg
    Step 1b.jpg

Etc, etc...

etc_Entry.jpg
    etc_PrintOut.jpg

I tried creating a macro that would:

1) Delete cells where content will be placed (relative reference)
    2) Unmerge cells where content will be placed (relative reference)
    3) Remove borders where content will be placed (relative reference)
    4) Unfill cells where content will be placed (relative reference)
    5) Copy desired content from 'Macro References' (absolute reference)
    6) Paste desired content to 'Entry' (relative reference)
    7) Cut desired content from 'Entry' (relative reference)
    8) Paste desired content to 'PrintOut' (relative reference)

I think my biggest issue stems from differentiating relative and absolute references. I will need to create 6 different macros with the previous steps:

Y-Lok Kit
    K-Lok Kit
    Q-Lok Kit
    Y-Lok Single
    K-Lok Single
    Q-Lok Single

If anyone can help me learn and come up with just one of these macros, I should be able to do the rest. It would be GREATLY appreciated!
    Attached Files Attached Files

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information