+ Reply to Thread

VBA: Using PercentRank on dynamically changeable subsets

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

VBA: Using PercentRank on dynamically changeable subsets

Hello and thank you for your time and help,

I am trying to create a function which would extract a subset from a given range depending on the values contained in another range. The final aim is to be able to use the Percentrank function on dynamically changeable groups

A B C D E
    1 Country GDP Group PercentRank
    2 Albania 5000 2 ?
    3 France 28000 1
    4 Romania 6000 2
    5 US 34000 1

The idea would to have something like Percentrank(Subset(B2:B4, C2:C4, 1), B2) with the Subset( TotalRange, GroupRange, GroupNumber) function returning the subset as a range.

From there, all I would need to do is to change a country's group to update all the ranks.

I have started with something like this but it doesn't seem to work...

Please Login or Register  to view this content.
    Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance

Forum Moderator - RIP Richard Buttrey's Avatar
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 365, Excel for Windows 2010 & Excel for Mac

Re: VBA: Using PercentRank on dynamically changeable subsets

Hi,

Why not just use Data Advanced Filter to extract the subset to another sheet/area based on the criteria in your 'other range' and use this extracted data with your ranking formula?
    Richard Buttrey

RIP - d. 06/10/2022

If any of the responses have helped then please consider rating them by clicking the small star icon below the post.

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

Hi Richard,

Thank you for your answer. I'd actually thought about something similar but the datasheet I am using is far more complex than my example, and implementing these filters would require a lot of successive worksheets and filters.

I was just surprised that there was no existing function to extract a subset from a range. Do you have any idea why my code doesn't work?
    It doesn't even return a Range which I find surprising. Does the union function work with Range and Cell arguments?

If I can't figure it out, I will definitely use your idea but I feel like I'm pretty close

Thanks again,

Benjamin

Forum Moderator - RIP Richard Buttrey's Avatar
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 365, Excel for Windows 2010 & Excel for Mac

Hi,

The Union instruction works with ranges and cells and since a cell is a range then the answer to your question is Yes.

I'm still not convinced though that you need to build a UDF at all. It's probable that a standard array formula could gather your subset to which you could apply your PercentRank function, or if not then as I said before a Data Advanced Filter (which is just a single line of macro code) could extract a separate subset of your data which can then be analysed with the PercentRank function.

I'm not clear why filtering would require successive sheets. I generally find that having one filter output area and changing either or both the criteria cells and the Output column labels meets all requirements. And the data filtering technique has the huge advantage that it's far far quicker than any VBA code, particularly looping code.

If you'd like to upload a representative example of your data, with a separate results area that you've manually created, along with any notes about how you arrived at it then perhaps we can help further.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information