+ Reply to Thread

Warehouse organization

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2013

Warehouse organization

Hello, I am new to the forums. Utilizing Excel to organize a warehouse that has about 43,000 items. They have never used excel to keep track of what items they have back there. It's come to the point where the warehouse guys have to find things by memory, and we have no idea which items are back there. We've run into problems where guys can't remember where certain items are and we lose the sale. There is also the problem of overstocking items we think we run out of.

I am tasked with calculating what items we have by writing an excel sheet and locating where each individual items are. My question is, is there any way to automatically populate items in other rows? instead of typing "also in row X1-2

item row updated in system
    1 T9-3 UPDATED
    2 T10-3 ALSO IN T9-3
    3 T11-3 ALSO IN T9-3,T10-3
    4 T12-3 ALSO IN T9-3,T10-3,T11-3
    5 T13-3 ALSO IN T9-3,T10-3,T11-3,T12-3
    6 T14-3 ALSO IN T9-3,T10-3,T11-3,T12-3,T13-3
    7 T15-3 ALSO IN T9-3,T10-3,T11-3,T12-3,T13-3,T14-3
    8 T16-3 ALSO IN T9-3,T10-3,T11-3,T12-3,T13-3,T14-3,15-3
    9 T17-3 ALSO IN T9-3,T10-3,T11-3,T12-3,T13-3,T14-3,T15-3,T16-3

ETC...
    ETC...

is there any easier way to make the update column automatically go up by the first variable 10,11,12 etc... I know excel can automatically increase the last variables from -3 to -4 but obviously that doesn't help me here. I have made this from scratch and manually copy-pasting the previous rows into the current row and just typing in the next one up.

For instance if item 9 was in row T17-3. I would then, copy and paste the info from row T16-3 and add T16-3 onto this information. There must be an easier way to do this. Any help would be much appreciated!
    Last edited by jj3rd77; 10-18-2013 at 09:03 AM.

MS-Off Ver
    365 Win 11

Re: Warehouse organization

Probably not what you want to hear, but:

Why not buy a stock system? There are more of them out there than you can shake a stick at and the majority of them are cheap for basic requirements. You will spend more in time hacking Excel to do this for you, both upfront upfront and in maintenance than it will cost you to get a proper application to do the job.

I've seen more people start with Excel and buy a system more times than I can count because too much stuff falls through the gaps or it becomes unwieldy, or users start demanding more features - the issue is that at that point integrating an off the shelf application becomes incredibly difficult in terms of getting users to accept it - because it "doesn't work in the way they are used to".

tldr; Save yourself a world of pain, time and head scratching; don't re-invent the wheel, people have already solved the problems you haven't even thought about yet - buy an application to do this for you

Forum Contributor
    MS-Off Ver
    2k3/2k7/2010

Would the word, "See Above" be easier to write?

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle123 View Post
    Probably not what you want to hear, but:

Why not buy a stock system? There are more of them out there than you can shake a stick at and the majority of them are cheap for basic requirements. You will spend more in time hacking Excel to do this for you, both upfront upfront and in maintenance than it will cost you to get a proper application to do the job.

I've seen more people start with Excel and buy a system more times than I can count because too much stuff falls through the gaps or it becomes unwieldy, or users start demanding more features - the issue is that at that point integrating an off the shelf application becomes incredibly difficult in terms of getting users to accept it - because it "doesn't work in the way they are used to".

tldr; Save yourself a world of pain, time and head scratching; don't re-invent the wheel, people have already solved the problems you haven't even thought about yet - buy an application to do this for you
    1. The owners of the company are too cheap to buy anything new.
    2. Maybe I wasn't clear enough, but I don't need an entire inventory program. I just need something to sort these numbers. We already have an inventory system, but the locations are all wrong. I need to make this excel sheet so that I have a list to sort the numbers and organize it. Using the list we are going to rearrange the items by letters A-Z.

I have to believe that there is a way to do this in excel. The answer cannot be...Buy something else.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information