+ Reply to Thread

How to save data input on HTML form to an Excel document?

MS-Off Ver
    tbc

How to save data input on HTML form to an Excel document?

Hello all,

A quick brief: I work in an office where data is recorded by each worker regarding the number of times they complete a certain task per day.
    At the moment, they each fill in an Excel document and send it to their manager at the end of each week, which is less than ideal.

I am looking to create a HTML form that they can complete, each time they undertake said task, that automatically saves the data they input to a 'master' Excel document, on a new line.

I am aware that Excel Forms are available, but I would much rather use a HTML 'webpage' as the input document. It causes less lag and IT issues, and it's much more customizable and easier on the user.

Lastly, please be aware that many users might be using this at the same time, submitting things often, so the HTML input form would need to be available, and be updating the Excel form, even when multiple people are inputting data at pretty much the same time.

Thank you.

MS-Off Ver
    365 Win 11

Re: How to save data input on HTML form to an Excel document?

Use google docs and a google form. They're much easier and far more resilient there are really too many issues with the way you are planing to do this.

MS-Off Ver
    tbc

We don't have access to Google Docs, as it is a blocked site, and it won't be unblocked either. Sorry.

I work in a large office for a large company. Using other programs, whether downloading or internet based, won't be an option.

I only have access to Microsoft packages, Internet Explorer, Firefox and anything I can write using notepad (e.g; VBScript, JavaScript etc.)
    Last edited by Haze1434; 02-27-2014 at 12:07 PM.

MS-Off Ver
    365 Win 11

Well it's going to be a bit tough then, HTML isn't going to help you I'm afraid. You'd need to do this in Javascript and even then it would be unreliable and fraught with issues if you aren't looking at a server side solution - like .Net, PHP etc that would be a workable solution, bu if you don't have access to gogle docs I'm guessing you won't be able to spin up a web server?

Do you have access installed? That would be worth pursuing, otherwise you could write code that sends data to a txt document. The reason I say text and not a workbook is that workbooks can only be accessed by one person at a time, so can a text document, but they're much faster than Excel for opening and closing.

Finally, you could look at a shared workbook (can't quite believe that I'm actually advocating this as they are terrible) which allows different people to update it at the same time.

Does any of that help?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information