+ Reply to Thread

How to use a drop down list with multiple variables & other inputs for a formula

MS-Off Ver
    Mac - Office 2011

How to use a drop down list with multiple variables & other inputs for a formula

I am trying to develop a spreadsheet where the user chooses a 'Fuel' from a drop down box, inputs some other parameters and the spreadsheet returns a value, as well as a graph (on which the output value lies).

For each fuel there are four variables that need to be entered into a formula: A B C and R. So my first question is how do I 'group' these variables with the fuels so that they can be substituted into a formula upon selection of a fuel from a drop down menu?

To make things more complicated some of the fuels have different values of A B & C according to different temperature ranges, furthermore the required output is the Temperature.. so is it possible therefore to use an IF function should the result not fall in the correct temperature range and perform another iteration (using different A B C values) to find the correct temperature?

Here is a screenshot of the Fuel table as it stands:

image.jpg

The variables to be entered in to a formula are in columns J N O & P. Columns L&M show the temperature ranges for the A B C variables. I hope I'm sense sense here and your following me.

To the left of the table (out of sight) is another small table with a few constants that are used in the formula. (I will probably move this to another sheet to tidy things up a bit).

On a seperate sheet I need another table where the user types some other variables, one of which limited to within a certain range, and on the right a graph which changes for the fuel selected.

I hope somebody can help me!

Im using Excel for Mac 2011

Cheers
    Gaz

MS-Off Ver
    MS365 Family 64-bit

Re: How to use a drop down list with multiple variables & other inputs for a formula

An image attachment has very little value. Don't attach a screenshot of your Excel file--just attach the file. It's easier than taking a screenshot first and then attaching that.

It will be much easier to understand your problem if you provide your file. This allows us to see your data, layout, code (if there is any), and will let us experiment with your data, formulas, and code, and possibly attach a file with a completed solution.
    Jeff
    | | |會 |會 |會 |會 | |:| | |會 |會
    Read the rules
    Use code tags to [code]enclose your code![/code]

MS-Off Ver
    Mac - Office 2011

Re: How to use a drop down list with multiple variables & other inputs for a formula

Ok so here is an update of the file I'm working on.

Ignore everything I said in the post above for now.

I have created a userform called userform1, I would like this userform to be permanently located on/within the Sheet 'User Input' so it can be modified without a pup-up window appearing (minor issue though).

As you will see there are a couple of text input boxes and some drop down lists.
    For the first drop down list, I would like the list to be populated with the names of the fuels that are found in the column: "Fuels" on table "tblFuels" on sheet "Fuel Data". Should I use a Vlookup function or something similar?

Also I'm unaware how to enter the data from the text boxes in to specific cells, what function do i need and how do a reference a cell? Is this correct: Worksheets(2).Range(B4)or Cells(B4)? I'm sure this is simple but i haven't found what I'm looking for.

If you take a look at the code for the 'userform1' you will see I've added some description of what i would like the form to do upon data being entered or when the "Calculate" button is pressed.

I will continue working on the rest of the spreadsheet in the mean time and I'm sure there will be more questions to come but any help will be much appreciated.

Fuels Spreadsheet.xlsm

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information