+ Reply to Thread

EXCEL, VBA, Image: Image loses transparency after saving woorkbook

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

EXCEL, VBA, Image: Image loses transparency after saving woorkbook

APPLICATION AND SYSTEM: Excel 2007, WINDOWS 10

PROBLEM: Imported images with transparent backgrounds appear as expected until the workbook is saved, closed and then re-opened. Upon re-opening, the image appears but without the original transparent background.

QUESTION: How is the transparent background of an imported gif preserved when the workbook is saved and closed.

BACKGROUND: I have a workbook which uses the LoadPicture(Application.GetOpenFilename) function to allow the User to populate a Image field with a picture. In our case we will be limiting the selected file(s) as gif format and recommending only those with transparent backgrounds. We then use Worksheets("{SHEET NAME}").Activate: ActiveSheet.OLEObjects("{TARGET IMAGE CONTROL}").Object.Picture = {CURRENT PAGE IMG}.Picture to 'copy' the selected image to image controls on several other sheets in the work book.

Selecting images and populating image controls now work well: The selected images with transparent backgrounds appear as expected - transparent. However, when re-opening the saved workbook selected images appear without their original transparent backgrounds.

Any help resolving this would be very much appreciated.

Regards,
    Last edited by lhasha; 06-17-2016 at 04:03 PM.

MS-Off Ver

Re: EXCEL, VBA, Image: Image loses transparency after saving woorkbook

Hello lhasha,

...However, when re-opening the saved workbook selected images appear without their original transparent backgrounds.
    Add the same Code you use for,
    Selecting images and populating image controls now work well: The selected images with transparent backgrounds appear as expected - transparent.
    in the ThisWorkbook Open event, referring to the correct Sheet/s, and or images.

If you have a problem with that then please attach a sample workbook. Make sure there is just enough data to demonstrate your need. Include a BEFORE sheet and an AFTER sheet in the workbook if needed to show the process you're trying to complete or automate. Make sure your desired results are shown, mock them up manually if necessary.

Remember to desensitize the data.

Click on GO ADVANCED and then scroll down to Manage Attachments to open the upload window (or use the paperclip icon).

Regards.
    Please consider:

Be polite. Thank those who have helped you. Then Click on the star icon in the lower left part of the contributor's post and add Reputation. Cleaning up when you're done. If you are satisfied with the help you have received, then Please do Mark your thread [SOLVED] .

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

Winon:

Are you suggesting that I use code to reload the image when the workbook is again opened? If so, this is not consistent with our need for the the image with the transparent background to persist and travel with worksheet independent of the original image file.

For years I have retained images in my Excel and Word files without issue. However, the difference is that in those instances I used the menu function 'Import>Picture' and was not using LoadPicture to populate an Image control.
    Sadly, I cannot use a Picture control in the same way as I do the Image control.

So, please make clear your suggestion to
    Add the same Code you use for, "Selecting images and populating image controls now work well: The selected images with transparent backgrounds appear as expected - transparent."
    in the ThisWorkbook Open event, referring to the correct Sheet/s, and or images.
    Regards

MS-Off Ver

Hi lhasha,

For years I have retained images in my Excel and Word files without issue. However, the difference is that in those instances I used the menu function 'Import>Picture' and was not using LoadPicture to populate an Image control.
    So, if I understand you correctly you did it manually for years without VBA?

If my assumption is correct, then Please provide us with a sample Workbook as requested in my Post #2.

Without a sample Workbook, I don't think anyone would be able to provide you with a ready solution.

Regards.

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

Winon:

Again, thank you. I have never attempted this before. When I explained what I had done in the past, I was merely explaining that in some
    documents or forms where I might need one or two signatures and they are my own, I would merely use the menu function Import>Picture
    which would result in a Picture container but not an Image control. Whenever I used the menu function Import>Picture approach, and when
    I would save/close and later reopen, the transparent images are fine. Such is not the case doing it as explained herein.

Here are two (2) screen shots.

The first is just after the signature image is loaded by double clicking the Image control:

FirstAdded.jpg

The second is after the file has been saved and reopened:

AfterReOpen.jpg
    Last edited by lhasha; 06-18-2016 at 01:11 AM.

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

The image loaded as shown in the last post is used to populate several other image fields throughout the workbook.
    This next image shows one of those instances before the save/close:

SigUsedBeforeSave.jpg

Next is the same instance after the save/close and when reopened:

SigUsedAfterReOpen.jpg

Thank you for exploring this issue further.

Regards
    Last edited by lhasha; 06-18-2016 at 12:59 AM.

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

Here is the code that 1) loads the signature file into the master Image control (getSig) and then populates the five instances of
    the signature (imgSIG) across the various worksheets.

Private Sub getSig_DblClick(ByVal Cancel As MSForms.ReturnBoolean)
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    On Error GoTo ErrHandler
    newSig.Picture = LoadPicture(Application.GetOpenFilename) 'ALLOWS USER TO BROWSE AND SELECT IMAGE FILE
    Call UnprotectAll 'SIMPLE UNPROTECT TO ALLOW FOR EDITS
    'NEXT FOR LINES OF CODE POPULATE THE SIGNATURES ACCROSS THE WORKBOOK
    Worksheets("G702").Activate: ActiveSheet.OLEObjects("imgSIG").Object.Picture = newSig.Picture
    Worksheets("CWRPP").Activate: ActiveSheet.OLEObjects("imgSIG").Object.Picture = newSig.Picture
    Worksheets("CWRFP").Activate: ActiveSheet.OLEObjects("imgSIG").Object.Picture = newSig.Picture
    Worksheets("UWRPP").Activate: ActiveSheet.OLEObjects("imgSIG").Object.Picture = newSig.Picture
    Worksheets("UWRFP").Activate: ActiveSheet.OLEObjects("imgSIG").Object.Picture = newSig.Picture
    ErrHandler:
    'RETURNS FOCUS TO THE DASHBOARD TO FIRST EDITABLE CELL
    Sheets("DASHBOARD").Select
    ActiveSheet.Range("C8").Select
    Call ProtectAll 'SIMPLE RE-PROTECT TO DISALLOW EDITS
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
    End Sub

I think this is the relative information in total. I again look forward to receiving any advise regarding this issue.

Regards
    Last edited by lhasha; 06-18-2016 at 01:28 AM.

Forum Guru
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

I couldn't replicate the problem.

Perhaps you could explicitly set the backgrounds transparent?

Please Login or Register  to view this content.
    Or if necessary, do it each time the workbook opens? This code goes in the ThisWorkbook code module.
    Please Login or Register  to view this content.
    Surround your VBA code with CODE tags e.g.;
    [CODE]your VBA code here[/CODE]
    The # button in the forum editor will apply CODE tags around your selected text.

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

AlphaFrog:

Thank you but when I tried nothing different. It seems your suggested code just sets the controls' background to transparent. This is not the issue. What is happening is the images (originally transparent gifs) lose their transparency and the backgrounds become white.

Regards,

Forum Guru
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

Yeah, it was shot in the dark.

Have you tested GIFs from other sources to see if maybe it's some sort subtle GIF image format issue from your current source.

Do you have any code that runs automatically when the file opens? If yes, what is it doing, and can you run a test without it.

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

AlphaFrog:

Nothing I did try gif files from three different sources.

Just very strange and I cannot believe I am the only one who has encountered this.

Regards,

MS-Off Ver
    Office 365, Win10Home

When posting code, please paste between code tags. Insert tags by clicking the # icon on the toolbar.

Maybe if you posted some links with transparent background or better yet, attach an obfuscated file as requested earlier would help us help better.

Excel 2010 and 2016 has a nice feature where the Format ribbon has a button to remove background. That would not help as there are not VBA commands to use it. It does make handling non-transparent backgrounds easy.

I got some sample sigs that need the background set transparent at: http://www.transpacificagency.com/wp...ncock-logo.gif

Since I use Excel 2016 on Win10, I am not sure how much my testing would help.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information