Programming a simple formula

  1. #1

    Programming a simple formula

    Hi all,

    I am trying to program a simple formula where I can input a number in one cell, multiply it by a number in another cell in the next column, multiply these 2 numbers by 1.5, and then display the product in the third column.

    My problem is that if I leave the cells in the first two columns blank, the number 1.5 is displayed in the third column. I want the third column to be blank if I leave the first two columns blank. Do you know what I might be doing wrong?

    Thanks,
    Arun

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Programming a simple formula

    One way:

    =IF(COUNT(A1:B1)>0,A1*B1*1.5,"")

    This actually leaves a null string ("") as the result, rather than being
    truly blank, but you can't have a cell both blank and containing a
    formula.

    In article <[email protected]>,
    anagaraj1 <[email protected]>