Running total w/2 columns - Excel

  1. #1
    Anna / Ideal
    Guest

    Running total w/2 columns - Excel

    I have a spreadsheet where I have an "Current" column & a "MTD" column, can I
    have the MTD column keep a running total everytime I enter a new number in
    the Current column?

  2. #2
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Running total w/2 columns - Excel

    With your current column being B starting with data in B2 and your MTD
    column being C
    In C2
    =IF(B2="","",SUM($B$2:B2))
    Copy down column C as far as you need.

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Anna / Ideal
    Guest

    Re: Running total w/2 columns - Excel

    Roger: Thank you for your response. My problem is this: When I used this
    formula and I typed in a number, that number was shown in the MTD column.
    Perfect. Except when I enter a new number in the Current column, it just put
    that same number in the MTD column.

    Say like this:

    Current MTD
    Shingle loads 5 10
    Job set ups 4 8
    Shingle complete 6 15

    So, the next day I would just put a new number in the current column and
    then I am manually changing the MTD column. I would like it to automatically
    add the new number itself in the MTD column.

    Is this possible?

  4. #4
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Running total w/2 columns - Excel

    Hi Anna

    I don't think you can have copied my formula correctly.
    Is your Monthly data in column B? Is your cumulative in column C?
    If not you will need to modify it accordingly.

    Do note the use of the $ signs in front of the B and 2 at the beginning if
    the last expression. They are ther to anchor the start point to the
    beginning of you data and will remain fixed as you copy down. The second B2
    is relative, and will alter to B3, B4 etc. as you copy down.

    =IF(B2="","",SUM($B$2:B2))
    Post back iy you re using different columns, and can't amend the formula
    yourself.

  5. #5
    Anna / Ideal
    Guest

    Re: Running total w/2 columns - Excel

    I beleive I did copy the formula correctly. The thing of it is, is that I
    don't think that column C can add to itself. (when I tried to do this myself
    I keep getting a circular reference) The number I putting in column B only
    copies itself to column C exactly. It doesn't take the number that's already
    in column C and add the new number in column B to itself. I'm only getting
    what I enter in column B in column C. There is no addition happening.

  6. #6
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Running total w/2 columns - Excel

    Hi Anna

    The formula is not adding column C. It is providing a summation of column B
    from row 2 down to the last entry in column B that is not blank.
    As you continue to enter more data successively down column B, the adjacent
    cell in column C will always reflect the summation as described above. Have
    you actually tried it, or are you just assuming it doesn't work?

  7. #7
    Anna / Ideal
    Guest

    Re: Running total w/2 columns - Excel

    Yes, you see this is not an ongoing column. I change the number daily for
    that particular department. The number I entered yesterday will not be there
    today & today's will not be there tomorrow. I just type over the previous
    number with the new number. So I am manually keeping the MTD column going.
    I just thought there was a way to have that cell in the MTD column C add
    itself plus the new number in column B.

  8. #8
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Running total w/2 columns - Excel

    Hi Anna
    I see. The mention of column made me think you had continuous columns of
    data.
    What you are cahnging and maintaining is just a cell.
    Yes you will get circular references if trying to accumultae data.
    I think the only solution is a VBA solution - I don't have time to sort this
    out for you right now as I have to go out.

  9. #9
    Anna / Ideal
    Guest

    Re: Running total w/2 columns - Excel

    Well, I thank you so much for all your help!!!!

  10. #10
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Running total w/2 columns - Excel

    You can check out this web page of John McGimpsey, where he gives a VBA as
    well as a WS function possible solution to your question:

    http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/accumulator.html

    --
    HTH,

    RD

  11. #11
    Anna-

    You should use two sheets in the same workbook. Use sheet1 to summarize your results for printing and Sheet2 to input the daily numbers .

    Set up sheet2 (your data) something like this:

    1 A B C D E F G H
    2 1/1/2005 1/2/2005 1/3/2005 1/4/2005 1/5/2005 1/6/2005 1/7/2005
    3 Item A 7 5 3 8 9 1 4
    4 Item B 3 5 9 0 2 4 6

    Set up Sheet1 (summary for presentation) as follows:

    A B C
    1 1/2/2005
    2 Cur Mo MTD
    3
    4 Item A 5 12
    5 Item B 5 8

    where Cell A1 contains the report date,

    The current month column uses the following formula:

    =SUMIF(Sheet2!B$2:I$2,Sheet1!$A$1,Sheet2!B3:I3); copy this formula down

    Use the following array formula in the month-to-date column:

    {=SUM(IF(Sheet2!B$2:I$2<=Sheet1!$A$1,Sheet2!B3:I3,0))}; copy this formula down

    Note that this is an array formula - do not type the braces "{}", Excel will enter these for you - you will need to type the formula and press Ctrl-Shift-Enter to make it work.

    By setting up your worksheet this way you can "recreate" any day of the month by entering a date into cell A1 on Sheet1.

    Also, on Sheet2 enter the first day of the month in Cell B2, then in column C2 enter the formula =B2+1 and copy this to subsequent columns. That way when creating the worksheet for the next month you only need to enter the new month's starting date in B2.

    -Terry

  12. #12
    Anna / Ideal
    Guest

    Re: Running total w/2 columns - Excel

    Thank you so much for this information. One more question, Can I use this
    formula on several cells at a time using the automatic calculation? It seems
    if I use this for more than one cell in a column, it will recalculate
    everything.

  13. #13
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Running total w/2 columns - Excel

    AFAIK,

    Automatic calculation will change (update) all such accumulator cells in the
    *entire* WB.

    The only thing I can think of, is to place these cells on different sheets.
    Then, you can set calculation to "manual", and create new windows, so that
    each sheet is concurrently displayed alongside each other.

    Then, you can manually calculate *individual* sheets, thus revising one
    accumulator, without changing the others.

    <Shift> <F9> will calculate *only* the sheet in focus.
    --

    HTH,

    RD

  14. #14
    Anna / Ideal
    Guest

    Re: Running total w/2 columns - Excel

    Ok, I will try that. You have helped me so much. I appreciate your time.

    Anna

  15. #15
    RagDyeR
    Guest