Data selection on line chart

  1. #1

    Question Data selection on line chart

    I'm collecting data but only want to chart the last 60 points on my line chart.
    To do this I have to manually update the series value information in the source data.
    for example: I have 176 rows of data and the chart series
    value is "=sheet1$b$117:$b$176" if I add a new row I have to
    change this to "=sheet1$b$118:$b$177".
    Is there any way to use a variable for this? say LRD is the last row of data
    could I change this value statement to be "=sheet1$b$(LRD-59):$b$(LRD)
    so that anytime I add a new row it would update the chart?

    thanks,

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Data selection on line chart

    Hi,

    You need to use dynamic named ranges. See Jon's explanation which you
    can modify to plot the last 60 instead of last 12 periods.
    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/DynamicLast12.html

    Cheers
    Andy

    Qiset wrote:
    > I'm collecting data but only want to chart the last 60 points on my line
    > chart.
    > To do this I have to manually update the series value information in
    > the source data.
    > for example: I have 176 rows of data and the chart series
    > value is "=sheet1$b$117:$b$176" if I add a new row I have to
    > change this to "=sheet1$b$118:$b$177".
    > Is there any way to use a variable for this? say LRD is the last row
    > of data
    > could I change this value statement to be "=sheet1$b$(LRD-59):$b$(LRD)
    > so that anytime I add a new row it would update the chart?
    >
    > thanks,

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  3. #3