How do I make an Excel file not open 2 copies?

  1. #1
    EC
    Guest

    How do I make an Excel file not open 2 copies?

    MS Excel 2000

    I have been using a file for months, and all of a sudden it is now opening 2
    copies of the same file. They open in different views, and is confusing. I
    understand I can close one of them out. Why did this start happening, and
    how do I tell Excel to stop opening 2 copies?

  2. #2
    Forum Expert dominicb's Avatar
    Lancashire, England
    MS-Off Ver
    MS Office 2000, 2003, 2007 & 2016 365
    Posts
    4,867

    Smile

    Good afternoon EC

    At some time in the past you've probably selected Window > New Window. To get rid of it simply close one of the windows using the X at the top of the worksheet, not in the top right hand corner, then save the file. The next time you go into this file, only one view will be there.

    HTH

    DominicB

  3. #3
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: How do I make an Excel file not open 2 copies?

    If you see a < :1 > and a < :2 > appended to the end of the WB name in the
    title bar, that means you have multiple "windows" opened of the same WB.

    <Ctrl> <W>
    to close one of the copies.
    Then <Save> the WB, to prevent the "double window" file from re-appearing.
    --

    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...