counting text in a column

  1. #1
    ferde
    Guest

    counting text in a column

    MD RN RT
    y na na
    n y y
    y n na
    na y n

    I would like to total the Y and N from each column but ignore the NA

    Thank you for your help
    ferde

  2. #2
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 2003
    Hi

    Assuming you column heading is in A1, paste this in an empty cell

    =COUNTIF(A2:A5,"Y")+COUNTIF(A2:A5,"N")

    Colin

  3. #3
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Verwood, Dorset, England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by ferde
    MD RN RT
    y na na
    n y y
    y n na
    na y n

    I would like to total the Y and N from each column but ignore the NA

    Thank you for your help
    ferde
    Hi Ferde

    Assuming Header rows are in row 1, and data in a2:c5

    To Count just the "Y"'s use =COUNTIF(A2:A5,"Y") in A6 and drag across to C6

    To Count just the "N"'s use =COUNTIF(A2:A5,"N") in A6 and drag across to C6

    And to count both use =COUNTIF(A2:A5,"Y")+COUNTIF(A2:A5,"N") in A6 and drag across to C6

    Change ranges to suit your data

    Hope this helps

    Paul

  4. #4