excel file format

  1. #1
    johan mårtensson
    Guest

    excel file format

    Hi,

    I'm wondering what the excel file format looks like as I would like to
    be able an existing excel file from another Win32 application. Or are
    there better ways to do this (using win32 API)

    thanks
    /johan

  2. #2
    Simon Letten
    Guest

    RE: excel file format

    From what I've read the Excel file format is a binary file format with
    specific internal data structures. If you need to read/write to an Excel file
    you are probably best off using Automation to start & control Excel. There
    is an intro here
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...plications.asp

    Simon

  3. #3

    Re: excel file format

    Maybe saving as a .csv would be easiest???

  4. #4
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: excel file format

    Johan,
    There is this:
    http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb...odeId=11898&ln
    gWId=1

    NickHK

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Netherlands Waddinxveen
    The older versions used the BIFF format if you search for it you can find some VB(A) examples to read and write these files without using Excel.
    The drawback is it's version 3.0, and a lot of formatting is not documented or possible.
    It's a nice way out if someone has to create an excel file with data on a machine without Excel.

  6. #6
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: excel file format

    Dnereb,
    Well, yes. If the OP wants to have all the bells and whistles that the
    latest Excel has to offer, then Automation is the only way to go.
    If only the basics with formatting etc are required then this method works
    fine.
    If he needs more functionality, he can always examine the BIFF file format
    and expand the class.

    NickHK

    "Dnereb" <[email protected]> wrote in

  7. #7
    Stephen Bullen
    Guest

    Re: excel file format

    Hi Johan

    Many people take the easy route of automating Excel to build the
    workbook. An alternative if you're willing to restrict it to Excel 2002
    or later is to build an XML file that conforms to the XML-SS schema.
    Search http://msdn.microsoft.com for XML-SS for more information.

    Regards

    Stephen Bullen
    Microsoft MVP - Excel

    Professional Excel Development
    The most advanced Excel VBA book available
    www.oaltd.co.uk/ProExcelDev