Fill series but a little different

  1. #1

    Fill series but a little different

    Hi,
    ı want to fill series based on cell data, a sample is below
    a1 b1
    james 10
    jane 8
    ... ..
    result should be

    james 1
    james 2
    james 3
    james 10
    jane 1
    jane 2
    jane 8

    thanks for any help.

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Verwood, Dorset, England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by kingjeremy
    Hi,
    ı want to fill series based on cell data, a sample is below
    a1 b1
    james 10
    jane 8
    ... ..
    result should be

    james 1
    james 2
    james 3
    james 10
    jane 1
    jane 2
    jane 8

    thanks for any help.
    Hi kingjeremy

    Not 100% sure what you want but here goes

    If James is in cell A1 and 1 is in B1, select both cells, move cursor to bottom right of selected cells, it becomes a black cross, hold down left mouse button and drag down

    or if James is in Cell A1 and 10 is in B1 to fill the gaps back to James 1, you will need to insert rows above James 10 and then do the same thing but drag upwards
    Paul

  3. #3

    Re: Fill series but a little different

    Are you working with Mellissa???

    Try this against a copy of your workbook--it'll destroy the original data.

    Option Explicit
    Sub testme()

    Dim wks As Worksheet
    Dim FirstRow As Long
    Dim LastRow As Long
    Dim iRow As Long
    Dim howMany As Long

    Set wks = Worksheets("sheet1")

    With wks
    FirstRow = 2 'headers in row 1???

    For iRow = LastRow To FirstRow Step -1
    howMany = .Cells(iRow, "B").Value
    If howMany > 1 Then
    .Rows(iRow + 1).Resize(howMany - 1).Insert
    .Cells(iRow, "A").Resize(howMany).Value _
    = .Cells(iRow, "A").Value
    With .Cells(iRow, "B").Resize(howMany)
    .Formula = "=row()-" & iRow - 1
    .Value = .Value
    End With
    End If
    Next iRow
    End With

    And there's no validation against the value in column B. It can blow up really
    good if you don't type in nice numbers.

  4. #4

    Re: Fill series but a little different

    er, Melissa???

  5. #5
    no I'm neither working with her nor I'm melissa. It was just a coincidence that we asked the same question almost at the same time.
    And thanks for the solution it will really ease a lot of work.

  6. #6

    Re: Fill series but a little different

    Glad it worked for you (and Melissa, too <bg>).