Looking up text - help

  1. #1

    Looking up text - help

    Hi all

    The simplest way to explain what I would like to do is to compare it to microsoft help function. This where you click on "index" and enter text in "Type Keyword" which then gives you what you are looking for.

    Is there a function to do this?

    I basically have 3 columns of data to look up for medical journals

    1st column = A - Z (depending on start of journal name)
    2nd column = Journal name (e.g. British Journal of Medicine, so column = B)
    3rd column = Status (e.g. peer reviewed, unknown)

    I would like to be able to start typing the journal name and then for it to give full name of a list of possibilities together with the 3rd column status.

    Thanks for any help on this.

  2. #2
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Looking up text - help

    Excel doesn't offer that type of functionality for spreadsheet entry. The closest you can come is
    to use autocomplete, or start typing, and then right click the cell and choose "Pick from list".
    Otherwise, you would need to use VB code.

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    OK, Thanks for the help. I'm sticking with the auto filter for the moment which is better than looking via paper.