Multiplication problem- Please Help!

  1. #1

    Exclamation Multiplication problem- Please Help!

    Hello all. I am a novice Excel user, and cannot seem to locate the source of my problem. Please help!

    Here is my sheet:

    C4 D4 E4 F4 G4 H4

    9/22/2005 7:10 PM___10/1/2005 12:13 PM___ 8.7__52.6__6.0__317.64

    Start date is entered into C4.
    End date is entered into D4.

    The following formula is in E4 to determine elapsed days:

    =IF(D4=0,"",IF(C4=0,"",(IF(ISERROR((D4-C4)*24),"",(D4-C4)*24)/24)))

    F4 contains "FLAGED HOURS" (for a body shop estimate)

    G4 contains a value used for "cycle time" and is using the following formula:

    =IF(F4=0,"",F4/E4)

    H4 contains a simple multiplication formula: =(F4*G4), but returns 317.64 INSTEAD of 315.6 (which is 52.6 x 6.0). I need the 315.6 result in H4.

    Would someone please tell me what I am doing wrong????

    Thanks very much!

  2. #2

    Multiplication

    This appears to be a rounding problem....Try changing the foemula in H:4 to =F4*ROUND(G4,0)

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Multiplication problem- Please Help!

    The cells contain trailing digits which you are not seeing.

    You could try

    =(ROUND(F4,2)*(ROUND(G4,1)))

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Well, I need more help on these sheets. I've made two attachments (I wish I could figure out how to imbed an image directly into the message here...)

    On sheet 1, this is the code to figure the required date for a cycle time. This is from column F-

    =IF(C3=0,"",C3+(D3/E3))

    This is the code from column G, that tells me how many days between C and F-

    =IF(F3=0,"",IF(C3=0,"",(IF(ISERROR((F3-C3)*24),"",(F3-C3)*24)/24)))

    I need the formula to exclude Saturdays and Sundays. Is this possible? If possible, it would be great to have it display " x days x hours" instead of "5.8" days.

    On sheet 3, I am using the same code-

    =IF(D3=0,"",IF(C3=0,"",(IF(ISERROR((D3-C3)*24),"",(D3-C3)*24)/24)))

    ...to tell me how many elapsed days between C and D, and still need the same fix, as above.

    Please help!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  5. #5
    Ronco
    Guest

    Re: Multiplication problem- Please Help!

    Try using Excel formula: =networkdays(start date,end date). You can even
    exclude holidays using this formula. First, though, you have to go to Tools,
    Add-Ins... and select the Analysis ToolPak. Takes about two seconds to do.
    The Analysis ToolPak give you a choice of lots more formulas.

  6. #6
    I've tried incorporating the NETWORKDAYS function into the current formulas, but can't get it to work. Playing with NETWORKDAYS on a blank sheet, it rounds to the day. I need results to the hour. Any further help, or examples using my formulas?

    Thanks!

    Terry

  7. #7
    Forum Expert daddylonglegs's Avatar
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    14,675
    Can I confirm what you want to do?

    Do you want to calculate the number of days and hours between two date/times (excluding weekends) or do you want to generate a date/time based on a number of days (possibly fractional) added to a start date/time? (or both )

    If the latter then how many hours constitute a day? If you add 1.2 days to 18:00 on a Monday what should the result be? Do you want the time returned to be any time of the day or should it be within specific hours, e.g. your working hours, if so what are these?

  8. #8
    Forum Expert daddylonglegs's Avatar
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    14,675
    Looking at your sheet1 looks like you want to add the number of days in G3 (5.8) to the date in C3, excluding weekends, If any time on a working day is acceptable perhaps

    =WORKDAY(C3,G3+MOD(C3,1))+MOD(C3+G3,1)

    although, depending on your answers to my questions above, you might need a more complex formula.....

  9. #9
    Thanks for the help so far guys... I am by no means an expert at Excel, and am only trying to help a friend who owns a body shop. Believe me, he is not guru at computers, but can bring a car back to life Chris Foose.

    Basically, Progressive Insurance requires that their jobs be completed within a certain "cycle time", based on when the car arrives at the shop and when the repairs are completed. A cycle time of 4.0 or 4.5 is acceptable, but anything below that, and Progressive starts to limit the number of vehicles that are brought to my friends shop for repairs. His business is new, and I am doing all that I can to help him get started.

    I created one sheet where you input a start date and time and an end date and time. This sheet calculates the cycle time based on "flag hours (the number of hours Progressive estimates that the repairs will take)".

    I created another sheet where you input a start date and time, desired cycle time, and it will tell you when the vehicle is due to maintain the cycle time that you input in the cell.

    What I need is to exclude weekend days, and the work hours for the week can include all 24 hours of each day. I only need to exclude weekend days if they fall into the date ranges that are manually added.

    I did find this VB code on the net, but I have no idea how to use it:

    '**************************************
    'Windows API/Global Declarations for :Ne
    ' tWorkDays
    '**************************************
    -
    '**************************************
    ' Name: NetWorkDays
    ' culating the NETWORK DAYS LIKE it does i
    ' n excel.
    The Weekends gets removed and the days betwwen the 2 dates is the output in days
    ' By: Brijesh
    '
    '
    ' Inputs:this is the function call
    checkAvailableDays = dayscalculation(CalculationStartDate, WPAEmpEndDate)
    '
    ' Returns:Returns days excluding weekday
    ' s.
    Holidays are included....working on a code to remove that
    '
    'Assumes:-
    '
    'Side Effects:I dont see any except for
    ' the error handling which can be customis
    ' ed
    'This code is copyrighted and has limite
    ' d warranties.
    'Please see http://www.Planet-Source-Cod
    ' e.com/xq/ASP/txtCodeId.64390/lngWId.1/qx
    ' /vb/scripts/ShowCode.htm
    'for details.
    '**************************************

    'call to the function
    dim checkAvailableDays as integer
    checkAvailableDays = dayscalculation(CalculationStartDate, WPAEmpEndDate)
    '---Amazing this code actially works

    Private Function dayscalculation(CalculationStartDate As Date, WPAEmpEndDate As Date)
    Dim workingdays As Integer
    StDateValue = CDate(CalculationStartDate)
    EndDateValue = CDate(WPAEmpEndDate)
    If (StDateValue > EndDateValue) Then
    MsgBox "Sorry Invalid Date Value", vbCritical, "VOID"
    workingdays = 0
    Else
    If (StDateValue = EndDateValue) Then
    MsgBox "Sorry Dates are Same", vbCritical, "VOID"
    workingdays = 0
    Else
    workingdays = DateDiffW(StDateValue, EndDateValue)
    dayscalculation = workingdays
    End Function

    Private Function DateDiffW(StDateValue, EndDateValue)
    For i = StDateValue To EndDateValue
    If (Weekday(i) <> 1) And (Weekday(i) <> 7) Then
    WorkingDaysValue = WorkingDaysValue + 1
    End If
    Next
    DateDiffW = WorkingDaysValue
    End Function

    If you guys are will to help, I can email my small Excel files to you for your expert diagnosis