How to get rid off duplicate items?

  1. #1
    Zagreb, Croatia

    How to get rid off duplicate items?

    Hello!

    I attached a xls file showing start and end of the project.

    As you can see in END sheet there is no duplicate values in first column.
    Can I do it without help of pivot (or manually deleting every duplicate )?

    Thanks a lot!
    Attached Files Attached Files

  2. #2
    JMB
    Guest

    RE: How to get rid off duplicate items?

    Save your work before trying. This will delete the entire row of duplicate
    items.
    Select the range you want evaluated and run.

    Sub DeleteDuplicates()
    Dim Isect As Range
    Dim x As Range
    Dim RangeToDelete
    Dim NoDupes As New Collection

    On Error Resume Next
    Set Isect = Application.Intersect(Selection, _
    ActiveSheet.UsedRange)

    For Each x In Isect
    NoDupes.Add x.Value, CStr(x.Value)
    If Err.Number <> 0 Then
    Err.Clear
    If IsEmpty(RangeToDelete) Then
    Set RangeToDelete = x
    Else: Set RangeToDelete = Union(RangeToDelete, x)
    Next x

    If Not IsEmpty(RangeToDelete) Then _
    RangeToDelete.EntireRow.Delete

    End Sub

  3. #3
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Thank you a lot. But it seems that it didn't work. I put your program under Macros and run it. Firstly I selected the range. Nothing happend.

    Any other solutions?

    So I have something like:

    A.......................B
    x.......................15
    x.......................25
    x.......................22,5
    y.......................30
    y.......................32
    z........................11
    z........................12
    z........................13

    and would like to delete all duplicates from A column, but B column has to stay completely same. Column A is for example name of the products, and column B is the price. We have the same product under many different prices. And would like to mention the name of the product only when first mentioned in the table.

    Please help.

  4. #4
    JMB
    Guest

    Re: How to get rid off duplicate items?

    So you want something like:

    A.......................B
    x.......................15
    .......................25
    .......................22,5
    y.......................30
    .......................32
    z........................11
    ........................12
    ........................13

    You should be able to copy/paste this modified code into a VBA module,
    select column A and run the macro.

    Sub DeleteDuplicates()
    Dim Isect As Range
    Dim x As Range
    Dim NoDupes As New Collection

    On Error Resume Next
    Set Isect = Application.Intersect(Selection, _
    ActiveSheet.UsedRange)

    For Each x In Isect
    NoDupes.Add x.Value, CStr(x.Value)
    If Err.Number <> 0 Then
    Err.Clear
    x.Value = ""
    End If
    Next x

    End Sub

    Alternatively (and probably easier), you could insert a new column to the
    left of Column A, and enter this formula in cell A2 (since your duplicate
    data is next to each other) and copy down the length of your table. Then
    select A2 through A(whatever your last row is) and Copy. Then select cell B2
    and click Edit/Paste Special - Values to hardcode the data. Then delete Col
    A as it is no longer needed.

    =IF(B2=B1,"",B2)

    OR, if it is possible your data has extra leading/trailing spaces (making B2
    not equal B1) then:

    =IF(TRIM(B2)=TRIM(B1),"",B2)

  5. #5
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Dear JMB,

    Thanks a lot. Alternative metode solved my problem.

    Regarding program you write, it also does its job, but with small bug. It also deletes the values in column B - if it finds duplicate!

    Thanks again!

    Bye,
    Svea

  6. #6
    JMB
    Guest

    Re: How to get rid off duplicate items?

    Yes, the first version deleted then entire row if it found a duplicate in Col
    A, but the second version does not - provided you only select ColA. If you
    select more than one column, it will delete any duplicates found in those
    columns as well.