Zero's # 2

  1. #1

    Exclamation Zero's # 2

    I had posted before about displaying zero's. I wasn't quite as detailed as I should've been with what I needed help on.

    I have ID numbers that are 9 digits long and need to be in this formant

    ##-#######

    I need this format to transfer into a mail merge word document, so I need the hyphen to show up when merged. I tried doing the first 2 numbers in one column and the 2nd set in another column so I could add the hyphen in the document and one field on one side; vice versa, but both columns will have zero's as starting numbers and it seems excel doesn't like it.

    So my question is this:

    A) Can you get a way to have the hyphen show on the merged document from excel when it is the format that gives the cell the hyphen?

    Or

    B) Is there some way I can get excel to let me have numbers starting with one or two zeros?

    Thanks for all your help-my brain is FRIED!

  2. #2
    Forum Expert swatsp0p's Avatar
    Kentucky, USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    1,545
    Let me ask you a question: What do your ID numbers look like in Excel now?

    I ask, because if you enter them as 12-3456789, Excel will treat them as a text entry, and should merge them in that fashion (e.g. 12-0000789 should merge just as written).

    More info, please.
    Bruce
    The older I get, the better I used to be.
    USA

  3. #3
    Forum Expert swatsp0p's Avatar
    Kentucky, USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    1,545
    As an aside, you could format your ID cells as TEXT before entering data. Excel will then keep leading zeros, hyphens, etc.

    Good Luck

  4. #4
    CyberTaz
    Guest

    Re: Zero's # 2

    Hi Delaina-

    In addition to these other fine suggestions, you can also create a custom
    format of 00-0000000 (even include it as part of a Style). One advantage
    being that the dash need not be typed.

    Regards |:>)