Changing a letter, to a number???

  1. #1

    Changing a letter, to a number???

    I have started a spreadsheet for genetic data. I have 5 columns of data with hundreds of entries. I used an "x" to represent entries relating to the 5 columns. The problem is I should have used 1's and 2's, so I could total them up and run formulas on them. Is there any way to make the letter "x" turn into a number 1 or 2? I was just wondering about the IF statement, will that do it????

    Thanks,
    Nick

  2. #2

    Re: Changing a letter, to a number???

    You could use an =if() statement, but how do you know which to use?

    or maybe you could just
    select your range
    Edit|Replace
    what: x
    to: 1 (or 2??)
    replace all

  3. #3
    Forum Expert Ron Coderre's Avatar
    Boston, Massachusetts
    MS-Off Ver
    2013, 2016, O365
    Posts
    6,996
    Here are a couple options:

    You could leave the x's and use COUNTIF and/or SUMIF functions:
    Example:
    =COUNTIF(A1:A100,"x")
    will count the number of cells in A1:A100 that contain an x.

    Alternatively, you could.....
    -Select the range of cells
    -Edit>Replace
    \Find what: x