Y-Axis Label

  1. #1

    Question Y-Axis Label

    When I label the y-axis on a chart, the last couple of letters are cut off and not displayed. If I print, the label prints fine (nothing missing) but if I copy the graph and paste it into Word, the letters are missing. This doesn't happen to the x-axis label. If I turn the y-axis label around 90 degrees (so it isn't on it's side) it doesn't happen either, but it looks silly with the text that way. This is proving very frustrating!!

    Does anyone know why, or how to fix this?

    EDITED TO ADD: I'm using Excel 2003. And if I send the workbook to someone else (who is also using 2003) they don't have the same problem (come to think of it, neither did I until about a week ago).

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Y-Axis Label

    What changed a week ago? New monitor? Install a new font? Buy a puppy?

    This is an intermittent problem, and seems to depend on a combination of
    screen resolution (wide aspect ratio monitors being more susceptible), zoom
    factor, font and font size, and perhaps other undefinables. I've only had
    the problem on my computer once, with a strangely formatted workbook from a
    client. Some people get it frequently. It has occurred since at least Excel
    5, but was relatively rare before the wide screens came out.

    There seems to be no fix for the problem. A lame workaround is to type a
    couple spaces at the end of the title followed by a period (the spaces alone
    will not stretch the pseudo textbox). To hide the period from a user who is
    not having this problem, select the last character of the title (the period)
    and color the text to match the background.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

    "LittleEm" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Y-Axis Label

    Hi Jon,

    I have not had this problem or been able to reproduce it but as a
    thought. Rather than using spaces and a period to extend the title box
    how about using non-breaking spaces (ALT+0160 from number pad). These do
    seem to extend the title boxes.

    Cheers
    Andy

    Jon Peltier wrote:
    > What changed a week ago? New monitor? Install a new font? Buy a puppy?
    >
    > This is an intermittent problem, and seems to depend on a combination of
    > screen resolution (wide aspect ratio monitors being more susceptible), zoom
    > factor, font and font size, and perhaps other undefinables. I've only had
    > the problem on my computer once, with a strangely formatted workbook from a
    > client. Some people get it frequently. It has occurred since at least Excel
    > 5, but was relatively rare before the wide screens came out.
    >
    > There seems to be no fix for the problem. A lame workaround is to type a
    > couple spaces at the end of the title followed by a period (the spaces alone
    > will not stretch the pseudo textbox). To hide the period from a user who is
    > not having this problem, select the last character of the title (the period)
    > and color the text to match the background.
    >
    > - Jon
    > -------
    > Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    > Peltier Technical Services
    > Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    > http://PeltierTech.com/
    > _______
    >

    > "LittleEm" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>When I label the y-axis on a chart, the last couple of letters are cut
    >>off and not displayed. If I print, the label prints fine (nothing
    >>missing) but if I copy the graph and paste it into Word, the letters
    >>are missing. This doesn't happen to the x-axis label. If I turn the
    >>y-axis label around 90 degrees (so it isn't on it's side) it doesn't
    >>happen either, but it looks silly with the text that way. This is
    >>proving very frustrating!!
    >>
    >>Does anyone know why, or how to fix this?
    >>
    >>EDITED TO ADD: I'm using Excel 2003. And if I send the workbook to
    >>someone else (who is also using 2003) they don't have the same problem
    >>(come to think of it, neither did I until about a week ago).
    >>

    >>--
    >>LittleEm
    >>LittleEm's Profile:
    >>http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=13250
    >>View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=487114

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Y-Axis Label

    Andy -

    That's a nice thought. I'll check it out, then amend my standard reply to
    this question.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Thanks for the replies.

    Nothing has really changed - it's my work PC, I haven't changed anything and if the administrators have they haven't told us about it. I do have a widescreen monitor though (but have had it for several months before this problem occurred).

    I have been doing the spaces and full stop thing, but I have heaps of charts that I use regularly and it's very time consuming!! By the sounds of it though, there is no fix, so I'm hoping that one day it will disappear as mysteriously as it arrived

  6. #6

    The 'Y' axis label of your chart is truncated in Excel for Windows

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleEm
    When I label the y-axis on a chart, the last couple of letters are cut off and not displayed. If I print, the label prints fine (nothing missing) but if I copy the graph and paste it into Word, the letters are missing. This doesn't happen to the x-axis label. If I turn the y-axis label around 90 degrees (so it isn't on it's side) it doesn't happen either, but it looks silly with the text that way. This is proving very frustrating!!

    Does anyone know why, or how to fix this?

    EDITED TO ADD: I'm using Excel 2003. And if I send the workbook to someone else (who is also using 2003) they don't have the same problem (come to think of it, neither did I until about a week ago).

    I have the same problem. Since the problem, I had to format pc and again installed offfice 2003 etc. But nothing was changed. I thought the office had corrupted. My laptop(acer ferrari 4002 wlmi) has resolution of 1280*800 with ati mobility radeon 128mb. The monitor is widescreen.

    I think it is a general problem for widescreen monitors. İf you change your resolution to 1024*768, you will see the problem is solved. But at this time, the fonts will not look like being at the actual resolution. I hope, Windows submit to us a patch for this problem at the short time.

    More information : http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=870698&sd=tosh
    Last edited by niti; 11-24-2005 at 11:08 AM.

  7. #7
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Y-Axis Label

    The only cure I know of involves incense and the full moon, and maybe
    chicken feathers.

    - Jon

  8. #8

    workaround for truncated y axis label

    I have an LG LW65 notebook (widescreen - 1280x800, ATI X700) with the truncated Y axis label problem.
    I managed to find a temporary fixing procedure that works for an entire Excel session:

    1. close excel
    2. change screen resolution to a 4:3 aspect ratio (800x600 or 1024x768)
    3. open excel (now the y axis label should display correctly)
    4. change screen resolution back to the original value (default)

    You shouldn't have any problem while on that excel session. If you close excel, the problem seems to return when you reopen it. You'll have to repeat the procedure.
    It's not perfect, but it worked for me.

    Good luck!
    Francisco

  9. #9