Adavanced filter?

  1. #1

    Adavanced filter?

    I have a spreadsheet with about 13,000 song entries... Col a artist col b song title.. Iv'e read advanced filter tutorials till I'm blue in the face.. All I want to is filter the artist column delete duplicates and replace the dups with empty cells., Anything I try deletes the whole row which deletes that song....

    Artist .......... ............. Title

    Neil Diamond .......... Brother Loves ....
    Empty cel................ Holly Holy

    Advanced filter or macro??????

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Adavanced filter?

    One method if pre-sorted on Artist's name.........

    I C1 enter =A1

    In C2 enter =IF(A2=A1,"",A2)

    Double-click on fill handle to copy down.

    Copy>paste special>Values>OK>Esc

    Cut that column and paste to column A

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  3. #3
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    RE: Adavanced filter?

    Filters only work on entire rows, so that doesn't seem like the path you want.
    Are you just trying to clean it up visually, so it appears less cluttered?
    If so, I'd suggest conditional formatting, setting it up so that a repeated
    artist is IN the cell, but not shown. Then if the table gets shuffled
    (sorted, whatever), the artist will be there. To set up the conditional
    format, go to A2. Format > Conditional Formatting. Use the drop-downs to
    set the condition to be 'cell value is' 'equal to' =A1. Click the format
    button and set it up so that the font color is white. Click OK. Copy that
    cell, highlight the rest of the column and Edit > Paste Special, select
    Formats and click OK.
    Now if an artist is repeated in consecutive rows, only the first will be
    visible. Other rows contain the artist name, but it's masked by the white
    font on a white background. And if the table gets sorted, the artist name
    will appear as long as it doesn't repeat the prior cell.
    HTH. --Bruce

  4. #4
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Adavanced filter?

    > .. All I want to is filter the artist column delete duplicates and
    > replace the dups with empty cells.,

    Focusing on the above line ..
    perhaps it'll be ideal to use a pivot table (PT) here
    (only a few clicks will get us there ..)

    Sample construct available at:
    http://cjoint.com/?mhegGPvYQp
    PivotTable_Approach_karyoker_newusers.xls

    Assume the source table is in Sheet1,
    cols A & B, data from row2 down:

    Artist Title
    Neil Diamond Title1
    Tom Jones Title2
    Neil Diamond Title3
    Tom Jones Title4
    John Lennon Title5
    Neil Diamond Title6
    John Lennon Title7
    Tom Jones Title8
    etc

    Select any cell within the table

    Click Data > Pivot Table Report
    Click Next > Next

    In step3 of the wiz.:

    Drag and drop "Artist" within the ROW area
    Drag and drop "Title" within the ROW area, below "Artist"

    Drag and drop "Title" within the DATA area
    (It'll appear as "Count of Title")

    Click Finish

    The PT will be created in a new sheet just to the left of Sheet1,
    giving the summary format that is desired, viz.:

    Each Artist will appear once only in col A,
    with the artists' titles listed in col B

    And if we don't want the Artists' subtotal lines,
    in the PT sheet, just:
    Double-click on "Artist", then select "None" for subtotals > OK
    (then just hide away col C and the "Grand Total" row for a neat look)

    To quickly dress up a PT, just select any cell within the PT,
    then click Format > Autoformat
    (select one of the table formats, play around to taste)
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  5. #5
    Thanks guys you both have been very helpful. I'm doing what I want now. I am not a frequent user of excel and it is like trying to do something in a foregn language with all the buzz words and simple microsoft definitions of terms. In the posts above I had to google certain terms to see exactly what you were talking about.. But we got the job done and I learned some more about a proggie that for some reason I have a huge mental block on.....

    Thanks again,
    Ollie

  6. #6
    Max