Sort names and e-mails from one column

  1. #1

    Sort names and e-mails from one column

    Hi

    Just wondering if any could help me with a problem I have sorting names and e-mails from one column.

    I have an excel spreadsheet and in column A it has a list of names and e-mail addresses. I need to split them into 2 columns emails in one names in another for importing into another program. Is this possible? The emails are all odd and the names even if this helps.

    A B C
    1. email
    2. name
    3. email
    4. name
    5. email
    6. name

    Thx in advance for any help.

  2. #2
    Forum Expert Ron Coderre's Avatar
    Boston, Massachusetts
    MS-Off Ver
    2013, 2016, O365
    Posts
    6,996
    here's a thought:

    Put this formula in B1: =A2

    Copy B1: B2
    Select cells down column B as far as you need
    Press [Enter] to paste those formulas

    Now you should have formulas in cells B1, B3, B5,...etc

    Now, select the whole range
    Data>Filter>AutoFilter
    Click the dropdown on Col_B and select Non-blanks

    Now, copy those visible cells
    Select a blank worksheet
    Edit>Paste Special>Values

    Does that help?

    Regards,
    Ron

  3. #3

    Thanks

    You are a star

  4. #4
    Danny@Kendal
    Guest

    Re: Sort names and e-mails from one column

    "jul3s" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

    > Hi
    >
    > Just wondering if any could help me with a problem I have sorting names
    > and e-mails from one column.
    >
    > I have an excel spreadsheet and in column A it has a list of names and
    > e-mail addresses. I need to split them into 2 columns emails in one
    > names in another for importing into another program. Is this possible?
    > The emails are all odd and the names even if this helps.
    >
    > A B C
    > 1. email
    > 2. name
    > 3. email
    > 4. name
    > 5. email
    > 6. name

    I hope the following is of some help.

    In B1 enter the following formula
    =IF(INT(ROW()/2)<>ROW()/2,A2,"")
    In C1 enter the following formula
    =IF(INT(ROW()/2)<>ROW()/2,"KEEP","DELETE")

    Fill down column B and C then, while both columns are still selected, copy
    then 'paste special' the values to lock them in place.

    Next sort on column C and delete all the rows which contain "DELETE" in
    column C.
    Tidy up by deleting column C.

    If you have the Analysis ToolPak installed you can use ISODD(ROW()) instead
    of INT(ROW()/2)=ROW()/2

  5. #5
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: Sort names and e-mails from one column

    With your list in column A...........
    Put this in B1 and copy down...it returns names only
    =IF(ISERR(FIND("@",A1,1)),A1,"")
    Put this in C1 and copy down...it returns emails only
    =IF(ISERR(FIND("@",A1,1)),A1,"")
    Copy > PasteSpecial > Values on Columns B and C
    Then delete cell C1 moving cells in column C up one, aligning names and
    emails.....

    sort to remove the blank rows if desired

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3