Sorting more than 3 columns of Numeric data.

  1. #1
    MS-Off Ver

    Sorting more than 3 columns of Numeric data.

    I have a spreadsheet with six (6) columns of numeric data and would like to sort if ascending in each row. So the end result would be the lowest numbers in each row at the top of the spreadsheet. Is this possible?

    Thanks!
    Edit: I am assuming there is no way to do this without code.
    Last edited by JMax; 12-16-2005 at 02:37 PM.

  2. #2
    Sloth
    Guest

    RE: Sorting more than 3 columns of Numeric data.

    This is an exert from the help on sorting lists with more than 3 columns.
    Basically, you need to sort the list twice. If you are sorting based on A,
    then B, then C, then D, then E, then F, you need to first sort by D, then E,
    then F (at the same time, and in that order); and then sort a second time by
    A, then B, then C.

    "If you need to sort by more than three columns, sort by the least important
    columns first. For example, if your list contains employee information and
    you need to organize it by Department, Title, Last Name, and First Name, sort
    the list twice. First, click First Name in the Sort by box and sort the list.
    Second, click Department in the Sort by box, click Title in the first Then by
    box, and click Last Name in the second Then by box, and sort the list."

  3. #3
    MS-Off Ver
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth
    This is an exert from the help on sorting lists with more than 3 columns.
    Basically, you need to sort the list twice. If you are sorting based on A,
    then B, then C, then D, then E, then F, you need to first sort by D, then E,
    then F (at the same time, and in that order); and then sort a second time by
    A, then B, then C.

    "If you need to sort by more than three columns, sort by the least important
    columns first. For example, if your list contains employee information and
    you need to organize it by Department, Title, Last Name, and First Name, sort
    the list twice. First, click First Name in the Sort by box and sort the list.
    Second, click Department in the Sort by box, click Title in the first Then by
    box, and click Last Name in the second Then by box, and sort the list."
    Thank you Sloth. I believe it worked. Maybe I should use F1 more often

  4. #4
    Bill Martin

    JMax wrote:
    > I have a spreadsheet with six (6) columns of numeric data and would like
    > to sort if ascending in each row. So the end result would be the lowest
    > numbers in each row at the top of the spreadsheet. Is this possible?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Yes it's possible. Let me describe the simple approach first, then from it you
    can figure out the more complex and wonderful version on your own.

    Sort the entire data set first *only* on the least significant column. Then
    sort it a second time *only* on the next least. And so forth until you've
    sorted it for the sixth time on *only* the most significant column. If I
    understand your request properly, it will end up correctly sorted.

    Bill