Implied Compound Interest?

  1. #1

    Unhappy Implied Compound Interest?

    Hi,

    I've just checked all the Excel Compound Interest functions but I can’t seem to find the exact one for calculating implied compound interest.

    I have a starting value of an investment and an ending value, together with the number of years it’s been invested. I’m looking for a function that can tell me the smoothed implied compound growth per year– Sorry if I’ve missed an obvious one but can anyone help?

    Thanks,

    Daz

  2. #2
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Implied Compound Interest?

    On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 06:19:09 -0600, dazman
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I've just checked all the Excel Compound Interest functions but I can’t
    >seem to find the exact one for calculating implied compound interest.
    >
    >I have a starting value of an investment and an ending value, together
    >with the number of years it’s been invested. I’m looking for a function
    >that can tell me the smoothed implied compound growth per year– Sorry if
    >I’ve missed an obvious one but can anyone help?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Daz

    I believe the XIRR function will do what you want.

    The inputs including the starting and ending dates of the period, along with
    the cash in/out. Be sure to observe the proper sign conventions as outlined in
    HELP.

    Also note that the Analysis ToolPak must be installed. HELP has directions for
    that, too.
    --ron

  3. #3

    "dazman" wrote:
    > I've just checked all the Excel Compound Interest functions
    > but I can’t seem to find the exact one for calculating implied
    > compound interest.

    As near as I can tell, the term "implied compound interest"
    rate is simply the average interest rate -- the geometric
    mean rate of return. If you have another meaning in mind,
    please define the term as you are using it.

    > I have a starting value of an investment and an ending value,
    > together with the number of years it’s been invested. I’m
    > looking for a function that can tell me the smoothed implied
    > compound growth per year

    Given those parameters, the average growth rate per period
    can be computed by either of the following:

    =RATE(n,, -PV, FV)

    =(FV/PV)^(1/n) - 1

    where PV is the starting value, FV is the ending value, and
    n is the number of compounding periods.

  4. #4

    Thanks

    Thank apolagies for the late reply , athough I couldn't get =RATE(n,, -PV, FV) to work, =(FV/PV)^(1/n) - 1 did the trick nicely. Most useful for inestment spreadsheets.

  5. #5

    "dazman" wrote:
    > although I couldn't get =RATE(n,,-PV, FV) to work,
    > =(FV/PV)^(1/n) - 1 did the trick nicely.

    I am glad that one of them worked, but RATE() should
    have worked, too. Did you notice the double comma ",,"
    (missing optional parameter) and the minus sign "-"
    before "PV", but not before "FV"?

    For example:

    =RATE(12,,-1000,2000)

    is about 6%, confirming the "rule of 72". We get the
    same result with

    =(2000/1000)^(1/12) - 1

    Of course, it does not matter which formula you use.
    If you like the exponential form, to each his own. I
    just want to be sure that you understand the RATE()
    syntax. I am sure it will prove equally useful in the
    future.