WinExplorer info to Excel

  1. #1
    FinRazel
    Guest

    WinExplorer info to Excel

    If I open My Computer (Windows 2000 Professional) in Details View, I can view
    the contents of any given folder or drive, with columns for filename, size,
    date created, date Modified, Author, etc. My question is, is there any way
    to get this information into an Excel worksheet?

    I have used another database explorer program (Invitrogen Vector NTI 10)
    which has a button called "camera" which does this.

    Thank you for your time and attention
    --
    Anne Murray

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    You can do it if you want to use "DOS" commands:
    Go to "START" - "ACCESSORIES" - "COMMAND PROMPT"
    Then type C: - hit ENTER and you should be at the C: Directory
    Then type DIR - hit ENTER and you should get a list of "STUFF" the files will be to the far right of the menu list.
    Right Click the MOUSE and then 'SELECT ALL' then hit the "ENTER KEY" this should select ALL listed info. Go to your EXCEL Sheet and then Paste. Do a SELECT ALL - and change the FONT to COURIER. Then Select ALL of COLUMN A or whatever column you pasted the info into - then on the EXCEL MENU Bar - Select DATA - TEXT TO COLUMNS and follow the prompts.
    To get more info about the DOS commands - after selecting the Command Prompt - type HELP.
    To Change Directories on C Drive - Once you at C:\>or other drive prompt and know the file names - type CD\Directory Name, example for the Desktop it would be C:\>CD\DESKTOP
    Then if there is a Sub Directory in DESKTOP (i.e Records) the command would be C:\>CD\DESKTOP\Records

  3. #3
    FinRazel
    Guest

    Re: WinExplorer info to Excel