Macro working on my pc but no one else's

  1. #1

    Question Macro working on my pc but no one else's

    Ok, so I write myself a macro at home in excel xp, which works beautifully. I send it to myself at work, where I have excel 97. Still works beautifully. I send it to the person sitting next to me, whose computer was built on the same image as mine and also has excel 97.

    After a few lines of code excel gives an illegal operation message and shuts down. Same result on every other pc I've tried except my home and work pcs.

    Even more odd is that there doesn't seem to be a particular line of code causing the problem. I ran the macro line by line on another pc, and it seemed to work fine as long as I put a breakpoint every 5 lines or so. Once I try to continue without a breakpoint, it shuts down again.

    My coding isn't that great, I realize, but it does what I need it to on my computer. Anyone care to guess why it won't work on anyone else's. I've never had this problem before, but then again normally I only make macros for my own personal use so I don't have to make them user-friendly.

    Columns("B:B").Select
    Selection.Delete shift:=xlToLeft
    Range("c1").Select
    If ActiveCell = "" Then
    Columns("c:c").Select
    Selection.Delete shift:=xlToLeft
    Columns("e:e").Select
    Selection.Insert shift:=xlToRight
    Range("h13").Select
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=SUM(R[-12]C[-5]:R[19987]C[-5])"
    End If
    Range("a1").Select
    Do
    If ActiveCell.Offset(0, 2) = "" Then
    Range(ActiveCell, ActiveCell.Offset(0, 2)).Select
    Selection.ClearContents
    End If
    ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select
    Loop Until ActiveCell = ""
    Columns("A:C").Select
    Selection.Sort Key1:=Range("C1"), Order1:=xlDescending, Header:=xlGuess, _
    OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:=False, Orientation:=xlTopToBottom, _
    DataOption1:=xlSortNormal
    Range("H14").Select
    qout = ActiveCell.Value
    Range("h11").Select
    Do
    ActiveCell.Offset(-1, 0).Select
    Loop Until ActiveCell.Offset(-1, 0) <> ""
    ActiveCell = qout
    outren = ActiveCell.Offset(0, -1).Value
    Range("h11").Select
    Do
    ActiveCell.Offset(-1, 0).Select
    Loop Until ActiveCell <> ""
    dropcount = ActiveCell.Offset(0, -1)
    Range("d1").Select
    Do
    countup = 1
    Do
    ActiveCell = countup
    ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select
    countup = countup + 1
    Loop Until countup > dropcount Or ActiveCell.Offset(0, -1) = ""
    Loop Until ActiveCell.Offset(0, -1) = ""
    Columns("A:D").Select
    Range("A49").Activate
    Selection.Sort Key1:=Range("D1"), Order1:=xlAscending, Key2:=Range("C1") _
    , Order2:=xlDescending, Header:=xlGuess, OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:= _
    False, Orientation:=xlTopToBottom, DataOption1:=xlSortNormal, DataOption2 _
    :=xlSortNormal

    Do
    Range("h1").Select
    If ActiveCell = "" Then
    Do
    ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select
    Loop Until ActiveCell <> "" Or ActiveCell.Offset(0, -1) = ""
    End If
    If ActiveCell <> "" Then
    target = ActiveCell.Value
    dropno = ActiveCell.Offset(0, -1).Value
    ActiveCell.ClearContents
    Range("c1").Select
    current = 0
    Do
    If ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1) = dropno Then
    current = current + ActiveCell.Value
    End If
    ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select
    Loop Until ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1) <> dropno
    Do
    If current <> target Then
    If current > target Then
    xout = current - target
    Range("c1").Select
    Do
    If ActiveCell > xout Then
    ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select
    End If
    Loop Until ActiveCell <= xout Or ActiveCell = ""
    If ActiveCell = "" Or ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1) <> dropno Then
    Range("C1").Select
    current = current - ActiveCell.Value
    ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1) = ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1) + 10
    ElseIf ActiveCell <> "" Then
    ActiveCell.Offset(0, -2).Select
    Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlToRight)).Select
    Selection.Cut
    ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select
    Selection.End(xlDown).Select
    ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste
    ActiveCell.Offset(0, 3).Select
    ActiveCell = ActiveCell + 10
    xout = xout - ActiveCell.Offset(0, -1)
    current = target + xout
    End If
    ElseIf current < target Then
    xout = target - current
    Range("c1").Select
    Do
    If ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1) = dropno Then
    ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select
    End If
    Loop Until ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1) <> dropno
    Do
    If ActiveCell > xout Then
    ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select
    End If
    Loop Until ActiveCell <= xout Or ActiveCell = ""
    If ActiveCell = "" Then
    Range("c1").Select
    Do
    ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select
    Loop Until ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1) <> dropno
    current = current + ActiveCell.Value
    ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1) = dropno
    ElseIf ActiveCell <> "" Then
    ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1) = dropno
    xout = xout - ActiveCell
    current = target - xout
    Range("d1").Select
    Columns("A:D").Select
    Range("A49").Activate
    Selection.Sort Key1:=Range("D1"), Order1:=xlAscending, Key2:=Range("C1") _
    , Order2:=xlDescending, Header:=xlGuess, OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:= _
    False, Orientation:=xlTopToBottom, DataOption1:=xlSortNormal, DataOption2 _
    :=xlSortNormal
    End If
    Loop Until xout = 0
    Range("a1").Select
    Do
    If ActiveCell.Offset(0, 3) = dropno Then
    Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlToRight)).Select
    Selection.Cut
    ActiveSheet.Next.Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste
    ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select
    ActiveSheet.Previous.Select
    End If
    ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select
    Loop Until ActiveCell.Offset(0, 3) <> dropno
    Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlToRight)).Select
    Selection.Cut
    Range("A1").Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste
    End If
    Range("d1").Select
    Do
    If ActiveCell > 10 Then
    ActiveCell = dropno + 1
    End If
    ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select
    Loop Until ActiveCell = ""
    Columns("A:D").Select
    Range("A49").Activate
    Selection.Sort Key1:=Range("D1"), Order1:=xlAscending, Key2:=Range("C1") _
    , Order2:=xlDescending, Header:=xlGuess, OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:= _
    False, Orientation:=xlTopToBottom, DataOption1:=xlSortNormal, DataOption2 _
    :=xlSortNormal
    Range("a1").Select
    Loop Until ActiveCell = ""
    ActiveSheet.Next.Select
    Range("d1").Select
    Do
    If ActiveCell = outren Then
    ActiveCell = 99
    End If
    ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select
    Loop Until ActiveCell = ""
    Columns("C:G").Select
    Selection.Insert shift:=xlToRight
    Columns("B:B").Select
    Selection.TextToColumns Destination:=Range("B1"), DataType:=xlFixedWidth, _
    FieldInfo:=Array(Array(0, 1), Array(4, 9), Array(6, 9), Array(14, 9), Array(16, 9), _
    Array(20, 9)), TrailingMinusNumbers:=True
    Range("C1").Select
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=CONCATENATE(RC[-2],RC[-1])"
    Range("B1").Select
    Selection.End(xlDown).Select
    ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1).Select
    Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlUp)).Select
    Selection.FillDown
    Columns("D:G").Select
    Selection.Delete shift:=xlToLeft
    Columns("A:B").Select
    Range("B1").Activate
    Range("C1").Select
    Selection.Copy
    ActiveWindow.SmallScroll Down:=-75
    Range("F1").Select
    Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks _
    :=False, Transpose:=False
    Columns("A:C").Select
    Range("C1").Activate
    Application.CutCopyMode = False
    Selection.Delete shift:=xlToLeft
    Range("A1").Select
    Do
    If ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1) = 99 Then
    ActiveCell.Rows("1:1").EntireRow.Select
    Selection.Delete shift:=xlUp
    Else
    ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select
    End If
    Loop Until ActiveCell = ""
    Range("a1").Select
    Do
    ActiveCell.Rows("1:1").EntireRow.Select
    Selection.Insert shift:=xlDown
    ActiveCell.Offset(0, 2).FormulaR1C1 = "[zipcrrt]"
    ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select
    curdrop = ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1).Value
    Do
    ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select
    Loop Until ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1) <> curdrop
    Loop Until ActiveCell = ""
    Columns("A:B").Select
    Selection.Delete shift:=xlToLeft

    Thanks!!

  2. #2

    Re: Macro working on my pc but no one else's

    I don't see anything that would cause excel to crash--I do see things that would
    cause the macro to fail, though.

    TrailingMinusNumbers:=True was added in xl2002. But that should not cause excel
    to crash and burn. You should be getting a compile error.

    Does the code always fail in a particular workbook? Does it work ok in a test
    workbook--just enough info in that test workbook to be able to test ok?

    You may want to compile the code first (via debug|compile project in the VBE).

    Maybe running Rob Bovey's code cleaner would help:
    You can find it here:
    http://www.appspro.com/

    Or maybe rebuildint the workbooks that crash excel would work.

  3. #3

    Question Still no good

    I know there are a few things that would make it fail. The trailingminusnumbers=true is not included in the code that I'm using in 97. I must have copied and pasted from the XP version. I had to replace the code for the sorts and the text to columns when I moved it to 97. Other than that everything is the same. It has never failed on my 97 machine, but it's still causing excel to crash on my coworkers' 97 machines.

    Any other ideas?

  4. #4

    Re: Macro working on my pc but no one else's

    None from me.

  5. #5
    Mark Lincoln
    Guest

    Re: Macro working on my pc but no one else's

    On the computers on which your code is failing, check to see if the
    Analysis Toolpak and Analysis Toolpak/VBA add-ins are installed:

    Tools|Add-Ins...

    Most of my workbooks have problems with new XL97 installations that
    don't have those checked.

  6. #6

    Thumbs down Checked the add-ins

    Everything was good to go, still no luck on any pc but mine.

    I have also tried copying to a new workbook, and putting my working copy on the network and accessing it form other pcs. No go. It seems like an issue with excel itself and not the macro, but I can't figure out what could be different on my machine that allows it to work.

  7. #7
    Mark Lincoln
    Guest

    Re: Macro working on my pc but no one else's

    You could make a list of the Task List items on your work PC and
    compare it to the Task List on the next guy's PC on which the macro
    bombs. Look for anything different and go from there.

    If they are indeed built on the same image and running the same
    software, I would suspect there's a configuration difference that's
    causing the problem. User account or security configs in particular.

    Antivirus programs are a good place to look for conflicts, although if
    I have problems with these it usually involves running the workbook
    from a network server. Try temporarily shutting off any
    auto-protection and see if the problem goes away. (When McAfee's
    equivalent to Norton's Auto-Protect is running, it just kills working
    with workbooks on our Novell server. But I don't know for sure if it
    would kill macro activity on the PC on which it's running. NAV's
    Auto-Protect is never an issue.)

    You might want to do a stare-and-compare on the configs between your
    working copy of Excel at work versus one of those on which this macro
    bombs. Remember to check the add-ins.

    Other than that, I'd start looking for gremlins.

    I have a PC at home running XL97 under Win98. If all else fails, you
    could email your workbook to me (assuming it doesn't contain sensitive
    info) and I could test it here.

  8. #8

    Thumbs up Those slackers!

    Can't believe it.

    Our pcs are set to download windows updates automatically, but aside from myself no one at work seems to want to wait the extra five minutes in the morning to let the updates install. So everyone else whose pc I tried this on was running XP SP1, and I'm running XP SP2.

    So after I made them sit through an hour's worth of windows updates, everyone else was able to use the script.

    Beautiful.

  9. #9
    Mark Lincoln
    Guest

    Re: Macro working on my pc but no one else's

    Apparently you *work* with gremlins! :-)

    Glad to see you've solved the mystery.