Define name

  1. #1

    Define name

    Looking for a way to define a name over several Sheets that will apply to the active sheet only.
    An example:
    On Sheet1, Sheet2 and Sheet3 in cells A4:G17 I have a form that I want to give one name (e.g. OrderForm) that will automatically apply to that area on the active sheet only.

    I tried:
    =SHEET1:Sheet3!$A$4:$G$17
    but the following problems occur:

    - the defined name “OrderForm” does not appear in the Name Box
    so how can I use it?
    - F3 (Paste Name Dialog Box) and Ctrl+F3 (Define Name Dialog Box) doesn’t help either

    Anybody who can put me on the right track?

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Define name

    Sheet specific names only appear in the names box when that particular sheet
    is active.

    Bob Phillips

    "digicat" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    How do I make a sheet specific name?
    That is exactly what I'm looking for.
    The way I'm trying to do it doesn't work.
    The name I have defined with a 3D-formula doesn't show in any of the sheets and refers only to the first sheet anyway.
    =Sheet1:Sheet3!$A$5:$M$52
    When I'm building the formula single quote marks show around the sheetnames, but they disappear when I hit th OK button.
    ='Sheet1:Sheet3'!$A$5:$M$52

  4. #4

    Re: Define name

    You could use Jan Karel Pieterse's (with Charles Williams and Matthew Henson)
    Name Manager:

    You can find it at:
    NameManager.Zip from http://www.oaltd.co.uk/mvp

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Define name

    Select the sheet
    Goto Name>Insert Name>Define...
    In the names type Sheet3!name or whatever the sheet is
    Add the range in the RefersTo box
    OK

  6. #6
    Hi Bob Philips
    Two problems when I try your suggstion:
    1. the naam Sheet3!name is not valid - because of the ! in it
    2. even with another valid name like Sheet3name, the name still applies only to the range in Sheet 3 and is visible visible in the namebox in all sheets

    I'm trying to give the same range on multiple sheets one name that will apply to all sheets.

    More suggestions?

  7. #7
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Define name

    "digicat" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

    > Two problems when I try your suggstion:
    > 1. the naam Sheet3!name is not valid - because of the ! in it

    It is valid!

    > 2. even with another valid name like Sheet3name, the name still applies
    > only to the range in Sheet 3 and is visible visible in the namebox in
    > all sheets

    I know that, I told you that earlier.

    > I'm trying to give the same range on multiple sheets one name that will
    > apply to all sheets.

    You can't do that. You can give the range on each sheet the same name, but
    it will only be visible on that sheet, as I explained earlier.