My formulas return the formula not a result in the cell

  1. #1
    1stcoast
    Guest

    My formulas return the formula not a result in the cell

    Cell A1
    Formula in cell B1
    00-1-36000-21800 SPPNT HUGGIES GOODNITES =LEFT(A2,16)

    The calculation returns the formula not a result. What am I doing wrong?

  2. #2
    Forum Expert daddylonglegs's Avatar
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    14,675
    B1 is probably formatted as text

    this should fix it
    select B1
    Edit > Replace
    Replace = with =

  3. #3
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: My formulas return the formula not a result in the cell

    Try

    ="00-1-36000-21800 SPPNT HUGGIES GOODNITES"=LEFT(A2,16)

    But that the text string is at least 40 characters so it can't be TRUE

    Peo Sjoblom

    Portland, Oregon

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: My formulas return the formula not a result in the cell

    Try this:

    First, make sure B1 is not formatted as Text.
    Select B1, then Format>Cells>Number Tab
    (Category should NOT be Text)

    If the format is OK, then:
    Select B1
    Data>Text-to-Columns>Click the [Finish] button

    Does that fix the problem?

    Does that help?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro

  5. #5
    1stcoast
    Guest

    RE: My formulas return the formula not a result in the cell

    Thanks your solution fixed the problem also!

  6. #6
    1stcoast