Excel need help

  1. #1

    Excel need help

    I have 2 columns a and b . a contains payment b contains balance.
    I have the entire col b with the formula. my ? is
    when the balance appearsin b it is in all the cells in that column.I only want it in the used ones, not the unused ones example
    $270.00 16,730.00
    $270.00 16,460.00
    $100.00 16,360.00
    $300.00 16,060.00
    $270.00 15,790.00
    15,790.00
    15,790.00
    15,790.00
    15,790.00
    15,790.00
    this 15790.00 is in col b...not a...I want no bal in unused cells

  2. #2
    Paul B
    Guest

    Re: Excel need help

    fiftieslady, maybe something like this =IF(ISBLANK(A2),"",B1-A2) if that
    does not help post the formula you are using and where it is

    --
    Paul B
    Using Excel 2002 & 2003

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Excel need help

    One way is to use an IF to error trap for empty/blank cells ..

    Instead of in say, B3: =B2-A3
    Put it in B3 as: =IF(A3="","",B2-A3)
    Then copy B3 down

    The " IF(A3="","", ... " error trap will check the cell in col A
    whether it's "blank" before evaluating further
    --
    Max
    Singapore
    "fiftieslady" <[email protected]>