grouping field in pivot table!

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor

    grouping field in pivot table!

    hi all!

    in my worksheet a particular field (COL) contains "two digit numbers,some alphabets & some alphanumerals"..like (10,20,30,AA,BB,A1,B3,...).

    the problem is after creating a pivot table while i am trying to group that particular filed i am getting the msg "can't group that field".

    how to overcome the problem?

    help pl!

    -via135

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: grouping field in pivot table!

    The Group command is for date and number fields, and won't work if a
    field contains text or blank cells.

    You could manually group the items in the field, by selecting two or
    more items in the pivot table, and choosing PivotTable>Group and Show
    Detail>Group.

    Or, add a column to the source data table, and enter a Group label
    there, for each record. Add that field to the pivot table.

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor

    grouping field in pivot table!

    hi ..Debra!

    your second idea is ok!

    but i can't understand the first one ie. manual grouping!

    the pivot table has page filed called "memo" in which 10,20,30,15,12,aa,ab,ba..are the contents!

    you are giving suggestion to manually group the contents 10,20,30,15 &12 am i correct?

    pl explain me in detail which would be helpful for me!

    thks!

    -via135

    Quote Originally Posted by Debra Dalgleish

  4. #4
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: grouping field in pivot table!

    To manually group items:

    In the pivot table, click on an item, to select it
    Hold the Ctrl key, and click on the remaining items you want in the group
    On the pivot table menu bar, choose PivotTable>Group and Show Detail>Group