How to Copy Values Only, Not Formula?

  1. #1

    How to Copy Values Only, Not Formula?

    Hello,

    I'm creating a spreadsheet to be used by others who will be doing alot of copy and pasting within the spreadsheet.

    How do I make it so that when a copy and paste is done, only the values gets copied, and not the formula? I am aware that the the "Paste Special" feature of Excel can do this, but I imagine there must be a way I can "mark" the column of data and restrict the formulas from being copied even in a plain copy and paste. I cannot count on the other users to use "Paste Special" since they will be doing many non-special copy/paste in other parts, and they may not remember to do it for this column of data (especially since the mistake won't be immediately apparent), and the data will become corrupted.

    Is there a way I can mark a column of data so that when anyone copies from it, it will only capture the values and not the formulas?

    Another idea I had was to hide that column and create a new one that references the one with the data and formulas. Is that the only way to do it? I think there must be a better way.
    Last edited by mapen; 02-24-2006 at 10:45 PM.

  2. #2
    paul
    Guest

    RE: How to Copy Values Only, Not Formula?

    hide the real formulas....
    --
    paul
    remove nospam for email addy!

  3. #3
    Lena
    Guest

    RE: How to Copy Values Only, Not Formula?

    What you can do is hide formulas in the cells (select Format Cells -
    Protection - Hidden) and then protect the Sheet (Tools protection). You can
    unprotect it when you are using the sheet, and protect for others (you can
    use a password if you want)

  4. #4
    Thank you for the answers! I did not know that I could hide formulas. This sounds like it will work. Thanks again.