Need help with a dynamic lookup and logical formula

  1. #1

    Need help with a dynamic lookup and logical formula

    I'm trying to write a formula that would do the following between two sheets:

    In Sheet 1 Reference the text in a cell - I'll call it B4

    Look at at cells "Sheet2!$R$59:$FZ$69" (yes, I need an absolute reference because I intend to drag the formula) to see if a match to "Sheet1!B4" is in that range

    Then, report the data that is found in the cell next it. (so if a match to "Sheet1!B4" is found in "Sheet2!R61" then report "Sheet2!R63 in the cell).

    It strikes me as pretty easy, but I cannot get it to work. I'm trying to make quick work of an enormous sheet, but I cannot figure out what type of dynamic formula to write. Please help!

  2. #2
    RJH
    Guest

    RE: Need help with a dynamic lookup and logical formula

    I think this addresses your question, though there may be a more elegant
    solution that I'm not aware of:

    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...0corresponding

  3. #3
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Need help with a dynamic lookup and logical formula

    Your problem statement is confusing to me, since R63 is not "next it"
    from R61 in a way that I understand...

    If you want to look up B4 in R59:R69, and return the value from the
    corresponding cell in column S:

    =VLOOKUP(Sheet1!B4,Sheet2!$R$59:$S$59, 2, FALSE)