Multiple Users in Userform issue

  1. #1

    Question Multiple Users in Userform issue

    Hi all,

    I know I'm probably just forgetting something stupid, but here's my issue:

    I created a small userform to act as a Call Log. It worked fine, but we had some Accumulation issues. So I set it up to have everyone's Userform to save to the same workbook on the Network drive. Everyone can pull up the userform simultaneously with no issues, but only the first user can save data to the sheet.

    I know the issue is probably a "Read-Only" problem, but I can't figure out how to set it up where everyone's userform can write to the sheet at the same time (5 users). I had them pulling up the form from a local script, and tried also directly from the workbook on the network.

    I'm good with VBA, but by no means great. Any help would be appreciated.

    Side Question: How hard would it be to save individual data on each person's local drive as well as to the main accumulative workbook?

  2. #2
    Forum Expert Simon Lloyd's Avatar
    locked in the cage
    MS-Off Ver
    All the ones my homepage shows
    Posts
    3,161
    Hi as far as i'm aware it's like a sharing violation!, if 2 users have the input box open and close it at the same time then both boxes will be attempting to change the same cell, row or column..........excel then wants to know who's changes wins? if they are changing seperate cells or worksheets there shouldnt be too much of a problem!

    I'm not too good at programming but if your workbook is on a network drive could you write some code to check see if another input box has been called if so then build in a timer before the check is performed again and the all clear message being given...........sounds simple........but i know it would be a nightmare!

    Simon

  3. #3

    More info about the problem

    I originally thought of that as well. What happens in the form is when the user clicks "submit," it writes all of the data to the next available row, so unless two users click submit at the exact same millisecond, it won't try to write to the same cells, and even if they did, they can just click submit again and it should work. The problem is that all subsequent users can't write to the sheet at all. I originally didn't think there was an issue since everyone could open the form at the same time.

  4. #4
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    RE: Multiple Users in Userform issue

    I doubt this concept is supportable.

    Perhaps put your data in an SQL database.

    Tom Ogilvy

  5. #5
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    RE: Multiple Users in Userform issue

    Just to be complete, you can go into tools=>share Workbook and make the
    workbook a shared workbook which can be shared/used by multiple users at the
    same time, but I am not sure you could have a userform in another workbook be
    the one to share it. It might work, but sounds flaky to me.

    Tom Ogilvy