Workbook_Open macro not running

  1. #1
    Forum Expert mrice's Avatar
    Surrey, England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2013
    Posts
    4,967

    Workbook_Open macro not running

    Has anybody experienced Workbook_Open macros sometimes not running on one user's computer when they work fine for other users? If so, is there a fix?

    Martin
    Martin

  2. #2
    Paul B
    Guest

    Re: Workbook_Open macro not running

    Martin, have you checked the security settings on the computer that it want
    run on?

    To change the security settings go to tools, macro, security, security level
    and set it to medium
    --
    Paul B
    Using Excel 2002 & 2003

    "mrice" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: Workbook_Open macro not running

    Assuming that the security setting on the computer is set to Low
    or Medium, it is possible that the Application.EnableEvents
    somehow got set to False (typically by a poorly coded macro that
    switches it to False and neglects to set it back to True). To
    test this, go to the computer having the problem, open the VBA
    Editor (ALT+F11) then open the Immediate Window (CTRL+G) and type
    the following and press the Enter key:

    ?Application.EnableEvents

    If this returns False, events such as Workbook_Open will not
    run. Change it to true by entering the following code in the
    Immediate Window and pressing Enter:

    Application.EnableEvents = True

    --
    Cordially,
    Chip Pearson

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Earth
    I, too, have experienced the same problem, not only with Workbook_Open, but also with Worksheet_Change. It's happening on one machine only (my boss's, & there's nothing pointy about her hair), and all appears to be well today. I didn't have the time I needed on her machine yesterday, but it wasn't security, it wasn't EnableEvents, she claims it has been happening for some time & I believe her. So this problem seems to be rare, but real. If I can isolate it, I'll post back, but for completeness, the system is Excel 2003 under XP Pro.

    Update: boss's computer is a notebook with a docking station. It has just occurred to me that macros can be prevented from running by holding down the shift key. If the docking station is sending some sort of unpatriotic keyboard signal (it has a keyboard attached), that might be part of the issue.

    Regards,

    John
    Last edited by JDavies; 10-29-2008 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Update