Formula Addition incorrect

  1. #1

    Formula Addition incorrect

    This must be a simple error, as all I am doing is calculating sales tax.

    I have column B as Gross rents, column c with the formula =sum(B11_-Sum(b11/1.065). And column D with the net rent.

    Then I ask it to total all columns down.

    But the Column total from the calculations, does not add correctly. It has a 3 cent difference. Add the figures manually and the total is correct.

    I.e.

    Gross Rent Sales tax Net Rent
    900 =Sum(b11)-sum(b11/1.065) 845.07

    This column does not
    add down correctly.

    Can anyone suggest why. There are only 10 rows in this simple calculation.

    Cheers

    Jack

  2. #2
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: Formula Addition incorrect

    Firstly, to compute the Tax use =B11-B11/1.065
    There is absolutely no need to involve the SUM function here!

    The tax in your example computes to 54.92958....... (not 54.93)
    So the net is 845.0704..... (not 845.07)

    Your worksheet is formatted to show two decimal places but Excel stores the
    value with 15 decimal places. So Excel sums using 15 decimals but you have
    done a check using only 2. This is why you are off. This is called rounding
    error.

    Replace the Tax formula by =ROUND(B11-B11/1.065,2) to round the stored value
    to two decimal places.

    Visit this site to learn more http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/pennyoff.html
    best wishes
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    "Gofljf" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: Formula Addition incorrect

    Use ROUND(your_formula,2) instead of your_formula. This will round the
    calculation to cents, whereas at the moment you are displaying to cents
    but may have 845.068 - such differences will mount up when you sum the
    column.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

  4. #4
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Formula Addition incorrect

    See

    http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/pennyoff.html

    BTW, Your formula can be written as =b11-(b11/1.065), no need for sum.

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

  5. #5

    Sales Tax Problem

    Thanks everyone for the help with my problem.

    Cheers

    Jack