+ Reply to Thread

SQL command help

SQL command help

Hi,
    I have an ADODB connection to a sql server DB and have been using MS query to generate my SQL commands, however they don't seem to work. I have looked similar threads and tried the suggestions but they don't work either. TBH I am not all that sure about the format of such sql commands but have used the following, which work:

cmd.CommandText = "SELECT ApplicationName " & "FROM tbl1"
    cmd.CommandType = adCmdText
    Set rs = cmd.Execute

if you were to replicate this query in ms Query you would get a different string that does not work, why is this?

I am now having difficulty with the following sql command; I would like to select all ApplicationName from tbl1 where ApplicationName contains java. MS query commands do not work, so I have the following:

cmd.CommandText = "SELECT ApplicationName " & "FROM tbl1" & "WHERE ApplicationName Like 'java'"

This returns an "incorrect syntax near 'ApplicationName'"
    There maybe an obvious mistake I’m making here, but I just don't see it my sql knowledge is very limited.

If anyone can point me in the direction of a good source of correct syntax for sql commands for vba I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance for any advice

MS-Off Ver
    -
    I don't use MSQuery so I can't answer your first question, but the incorrect syntax is probably due to the concatenation "FROM tbl1" & "WHERE ApplicationName Like 'java'" - this results in "FROM tbl1WHERE ApplicationName Like 'java'". You could replace this:
    cmd.CommandText = "SELECT ApplicationName " & "FROM tbl1" & "WHERE ApplicationName Like 'java'"

with this:
    cmd.CommandText = "SELECT ApplicationName FROM tbl1 WHERE ApplicationName Like '*java*'

For more info on SQL check out www.sql.org

Col

Valued Forum Contributor tony h's Avatar
    Tend to agree with Col. The Like needs wildcards to be useful lie "aa" is the same as ="aa".

Again I am not a MSQuery user - though I keep meaning to give it a go - but I would expect the SQL to be terminated by a semi-colon and to use doublequotes for the strings eg

cmd.CommandText = "SELECT ApplicationName FROM tbl1 WHERE ApplicationName Like ""*java*"";"

Note that the double double-quotes puts a single double quote in the string eg myVar="a""b"
    msgbox myVar will give a"b

Hope this helps, let us know if it doesn't

Thank you both for your suggestions, I replaced the wild card char * with % and this works fine. Thank you also for the sql link, just what I was after!

Can I just say that the people on this forum are so helpful thank you!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information