Hide Formula

  1. #1
    BAIJU
    Guest

    Hide Formula

    I have a excel file of FIFO calculation the file is full of formulas. I want
    those formulas to be hidden but at the same time the users to whom I forward
    this file should be able to only highlight the data if he wish but under no
    circumstances he should be able to access the formula.

    I tried
    Format/Cell/Protection/Hidden than,
    Tool/Protection/Protect Sheet/Content

    How can this be possible ?

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Canada, Quebec
    Hi Baiju

    I never try this put here is theory...

    Excel allows you to hide formulas so that other users cannot simply copy a worksheet and paste it into a new file (if they do, the results of the formulae appear, not the formulas themselves). To set this option you must first unprotect the worksheet:

    Open the Tools menu, select Protection then Unprotect Sheet...
    Click on cell C14 then open the Format menu and choose Cells...
    Click on the Protection tab and then on Hidden to add a tick to the check box - leave Locked set on as well - press <Enter> or click on [OK]
    The formula isn't hidden yet (you can still see it on the formula bar) but it will be once the sheet is protected:

    Open the Tools menu, select Protection then Protect Sheet...
    Press <Enter> for [OK] without supplying a password or changing other options

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Hide Formula

    Format>Cell>Protection>Locked and Hidden

    Tools>Protection>Protect Sheet.

    Set a password.

    Note: Excel's internal security is very weak and passwords easily cracked.

    My suggestion is change the formulas to values before sending to others.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  4. #4
    BAIJU
    Guest

    Re: Hide Formula

    Thank you jetted.

    I am at present doing what you have mentioned. But the user is not able to
    highlight data on the sheet using color pattern or change the color of the
    fornt.

    My question is how is it possible to keep the protection on and at the same
    time user is still able to change the color of cells or the color of the font.

    Baiju