Filename in a formula generated automatically?

  1. #1

    Filename in a formula generated automatically?

    Hi,

    I get a new workbook with data mailed to me every week, the filename is "Filename week ##.xls" (replace # with actual week number)

    I have one workbook that looks up values from those weekly workbooks and displays it all nicely, it looks something like this:

    Columns:
    A: Weeknumber
    B: ='D:\Year\[Filename week ##.xls]Sheet4'!$B$30
    C: ='D:\Year\[Filename week ##.xls]Sheet2'!$F$8
    D: ='D:\Year\[Filename week ##.xls]Sheet2'!$F$10
    E: =B+C+D

    There are many more columns, the sheet has hundreds of lines and there are several sheets that do similar things.

    Today I copy the whole line from last week and edit every cell so they look up the correct weekly workbook. This may introduce the feared human error, and ofcourse I want this to be done automatically so I don't have to.

    What I'm looking for is something like this:
    ='D:\Year\[Filename week '+A##+'.xls]Sheet4'!$B$30
    so that the weeknumber from column A is added easily to the filename in all the formulas on that line.

    Do anyone have any suggestions for me?

    If I didn't explain well enough let me know and I'll try again :-) I'm using Excel 2000.
    Last edited by helptildette; 07-14-2006 at 02:08 PM.

  2. #2
    paul
    Guest

    RE: Filename in a formula generated automatically?

    indirect will do what you want(with a couple of wrinkles)
    watch this thread
    http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...9-539fe5e8583b
    --
    paul