Split a Cell?

  1. #1

    Split a Cell?

    I have a column "A" with data like the following:

    6/12/2006 9:30

    I would like to split this into two other columns like:

    COLUMN B | COLUMN C
    6/12/2006 | 9:30

    Is there a formula that can split the cell data at the "SPACE" between the date and time?
    Last edited by inveni0; 07-18-2006 at 05:33 PM.

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor VBA Noob's Avatar
    London, England
    MS-Off Ver
    xl03 & xl 07(Jan 09)
    Posts
    11,988
    Have you tried

    Data > Text to Columns. Delimiter will be space.

    VBA Noob

  3. #3
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Split a Cell?

    >6/12/2006 9:30

    If the entry is a real Excel DATE/TIME there is no space!

    There would only be a space if the entry was TEXT.

    Biff

    "VBA Noob" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Gary
    Guest

    RE: Split a Cell?

    Inveni0,

    I do it this way (clumsy maybe):

    In column B, I enter either rounddown(A1,0) or int(A1)

    In column C, I enter B1-A1

    I then copy the formulas to values, delete column A, and then format column
    B to show date and column C to show time.

    Hope this helps.

  5. #5
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Split a Cell?

    Well, technically, T to C will parse the data if it is a DATE/TIME but look
    at how it ends up!

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by VBA Noob
    Have you tried

    Data > Text to Columns. Delimiter will be space.

    VBA Noob

    Works like a charm! Thanks, man!

  7. #7
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Split a Cell?

    There's really *no* need for *any* formulas - *except* for the one to copy
    the data to the adjoining column:

    If A1 contains "6/12/2006 9:30" (no quotes)
    Then in B1 enter
    =A1

    And the rest is accomplished with simple formatting!

    A1 = m/d/yyyy
    And
    B1 = h:mm

    And you're done!