Conditional formatting -- copy paste special won't change referenc

  1. #1
    Ed in Biotech
    Guest

    Conditional formatting -- copy paste special won't change referenc

    I am setting conditional formatting on a rather large spreadsheet for sum
    values by month.

    Cell A1 is the Resired resource request (data input)
    Cell A2 =Sum(A3:A5)
    Cell A3 through A5 are data input fields.

    I can set conditional formatting to change fill based on greater than/less
    than. What I cannot do is perform a bulk operation that will change my
    conditional value for columns B through AH. Copy/paste special...formats
    will add the conditional format, but KEEP the original reference.

    Any way to change the in the same fashion as a traditional formula does when
    you copy/paste?

    Cheers....

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Canada
    MS-Off Ver
    2003, 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed in Biotech
    I am setting conditional formatting on a rather large spreadsheet for sum
    values by month.

    Cell A1 is the Resired resource request (data input)
    Cell A2 =Sum(A3:A5)
    Cell A3 through A5 are data input fields.

    I can set conditional formatting to change fill based on greater than/less
    than. What I cannot do is perform a bulk operation that will change my
    conditional value for columns B through AH. Copy/paste special...formats
    will add the conditional format, but KEEP the original reference.

    Any way to change the in the same fashion as a traditional formula does when
    you copy/paste?

    Cheers....
    Basically, it involves putting a formula into the conditional format and using a $ as you would with a normal formula.

    See the following page: http://www.contextures.com/xlCondFormat02.html

    The site has other pages on conditional formatting, here's the index page: http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

    Scott

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Conditional formatting -- copy paste special won't change referenc

    Set the CF for the first cell but be sure to use relative addressing as in =A1
    and not =$A$1

    You can then copy the format to other cells using the format paintbrush or paste
    special>formats

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  4. #4
    Ed in Biotech
    Guest

    RE: Conditional formatting -- copy paste special won't change referenc

    Perfect -- thanks!

    Ed