Sum in numbers for text values

  1. #1

    Sum in numbers for text values

    Help! I have been asked by work to create a spreadsheet for tracking the number of companies we are speaking to. I need to calculate the total number of companies in a certain column but some companies are listed twice as we have different contacts in each company.

    Do I need to somehow convert the text in to a numerical value in order to total each column and how do I go about excluding duplicates?

    Thanks

    Andy

  2. #2
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Sum in numbers for text values

    Andy,

    The array formula (entered using Ctrl-Shift-Enter)

    =SUM(IF(A1:A1000<>"",1/COUNTIF(A1:A1000,A1:A1000)))

    will count the number of unique entries in A1:A1000.

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Kernow Girl
    Guest

    RE: Sum in numbers for text values

    Hi asgh77 -

    try Data / Subtotals -

    I ended up with the column below showing each value and how many, I then did
    a bog standard count at the bottom (does not count text values).

    any
    any
    any
    anyCount 3
    fred
    fred Count 1
    gowe
    gowe Count 1
    jowe
    jowe Count 1
    hopt
    hopt Count 1

    5
    Hope this helps --- Dika

  4. #4
    Thanks Bernie - that worked perfectly!

    Regards

    Andy

  5. #5
    SteveW
    Guest

    Re: Sum in numbers for text values

    Neat - never thought of using that trick

    Steve

    On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 15:25:34 +0100, Bernie Deitrick <deitbe consumer dot=
    =