Here is a simple formula request from a newb

  1. #1
    Darryl
    Guest

    Here is a simple formula request from a newb

    Add subtotal * by tax and add tax to create final total

    I'd like to have my subtotal = J9
    Multiply by my tax rate 6.5% =J10
    Add the J10 amout and total on =J13

  2. #2
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: Here is a simple formula request from a newb

    In J9 put =SUM(J1:J8)
    In J10 put =J9*0.065
    In J13 put =J9+J10

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  3. #3
    Darryl

    CLR wrote:
    > In J9 put =SUM(J1:J8)
    > In J10 put =J9*0.065
    > In J13 put =J9+J10
    >
    > Vaya con Dios,
    > Chuck, CABGx3
    >

    > "Darryl" wrote:
    >
    > > Add subtotal * by tax and add tax to create final total
    > >
    > > I'd like to have my subtotal = J9
    > > Multiply by my tax rate 6.5% =J10
    > > Add the J10 amout and total on =J13

    Thank you for the very prompt reply, that did it nicely.
    A second question - probably a nit pick.

    Say I have my two cells with number vaules:
    $360.57 on J5
    $858.00 on J6

    When I go to sum them on a line that I've chosen, say for example J9,
    it will put it directly under the first two numbers above where I have
    chosen. Is that by design, or have I not told it to NOT do that?

  4. #4
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Here is a simple formula request from a newb

    In J9 put =J5+J6

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  5. #5
    hank
    I cannot figure out exactly why or what you mean.
    I know autofill could come up with a range itself when you place the function below a list of data. It will then count all the numbers above it.

    Try the following:

    Go to the cell you want the SUM to be.
    Left mouseclick.
    Then topmenu
    insert > function > Mathematical > SUM > and OK
    <look what happens now: it will show a range automatically>
    click red arrow
    select range (J5:J6) with your mouse in the sheet
    enter
    ok

    You this out at J7 and again at J9.
    See what happens.

    You can always see the function and range in the top of your screen just below the menu's.

    Be aware that if you copy this cell with function to another cell it will change the range.
    Use relative indexing =SUM($J$5:$J$6) if you do not want this to happen.

  6. #6
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Here is a simple formula request from a newb

    You could do it two cells.

    in J9 =SUM(J1:J9)

    in J10 =J9*.065+J9

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP